RAIT 345 Clinical Practicum for Vascular Sonography • 12 Cr.
Provides the opportunity for ARDMS certified sonographers to develop competencies in vascular sonography, including the required numbers and variety of exams for advanced level certification. Content covers all areas included in the specialty exam offered by the ARDMS. The course includes 40 hours per week for 11 weeks in the clinical setting. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate interaction with the patients, physicians and staff
- Identify the pertinent clinical questions and the goal of the examination
- Recognize significant clinical information and historical facts from the patient and the medical records, which may impact the diagnostic examination.
- Review data from current and previous examinations to produce a written/oral summary of technical findings, including relevant interval changes, for the interpreting physician’s reference.
- Select the correct transducer type and frequency for examination(s) being performed.
- Adjust instrument controls including examination presets, scale size, focal zones(s), overall gain, time gain compensation, and frame rate to optimize image quality.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Doppler ultrasound principles, spectral analysis, and color flow imaging relevant to specialty being assessed.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of anatomy, physiology, pathology and pathophysiology relevant to specialty being assessed.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform sonographic examinations of the appropriate organs and areas of interest according to professional and employing institution protocols.
- Recognize, identify and document the abnormal sonographic patterns of disease processes, pathology, and pathophysiology of the organs and areas of interest. Modify the scanning protocol based on the sonographic findings and the differential diagnosis.
- Perform related measurements from sonographic images or data.
- Utilize appropriate examination recording devices to obtain pertinent documentation of examination findings.