RATEC 121 Patient Care • 2 Cr.
Examines patient care and assessment in the imaging department, as well as in other special care units. Topics include medications and their administration, acute patient care, bedside radiography, and patient lines and tubes. Healthcare Provider BLS is also included. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the role of the RT in drug administration and IV management.
- Discuss frequently used medications and describe their indications, contraindications, and effects
- Discuss the importance of patient assessment in dealing with acute situations.
- Describe appropriate technologist actions in response to respiratory emergencies, cardiac emergencies, trauma, and medical emergencies.
- Describe the special conditions and environments that the technologist will encounter when radiographing various patients i.e. operating room environments.
- Discuss treatment situations involving specialty equipment, i.e. c-arms and mobile units.
- Identify the various patient lines and tubes and describe the purpose and optimal placement of each line/tube.
- Locate patient lines and tubes on a radiograph and discuss which type of radiograph best visualizes each type.
- Accurately demonstrate basic patient assessment skills.
- Winter 2015 (current quarter)