SPAN 108 Spanish for Health Care Providers • 5 Cr.
Provides students with specialized medical vocabulary needed to communicate effectively with Spanish-speaking patients in a variety of health care situations. Culture is an important component of the course. This is not a certified interpreting course. Recommended: Prior exposure to Spanish.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Take a basic medical history in Spanish.
- Explain medical treatment to the patient in simple terms
- Establish communication with family members
- Communicate clearly and effectively in Spanish using simple and practical vocabulary as well as meaningful medical terminology
- Demonstrate understanding and appreciation of cultural differences in the health perceptions of Spanish-speaking patients.