TECH 223 Using & Supporting Linux • 5 Cr.
Hands-on training covers the fundamentals of Vendor Independent Linux operating systems. Students install, configure, use and administer Linux. Includes competencies required for Linux+ certification. Prerequisite: IT103 or NSCOM201, or admission into BAS Application Development concentration and permission of BAS program manager.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain Linux system architecture and filesystem hierarchy standards.
- Work at the Linux command line.
- Perform basic maintenance tasks including adding and removing users, executing backup & restore, shutdown & reboot, desktop, printer, filesystem & network maintenance.
- Perform system updates and other basic administrative tasks including security configurations, configuring essential system services, task scheduling and monitoring.
- Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it via a LAN to the Internet.