Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

sign next to revolving door

What kind of documentation do I need to have for alternative testing?

Students who request alternative testing must have verifying documentation that shows a clear need for extended time testing and any other testing accommodation like a scribe or reader. See our documentation guidelines

Can I have tutoring services?

The Disability Resource Center does not provide tutoring. However, Bellevue College does have tutoring services available at the following locations:

You might also find postings for tutors for hire in the Student Union Building.

Will someone proof my papers?

The Disability Resource Center does not proof papers.  The Bellevue College Writing Lab is setup to provide this service! The Writing Lab is located in D204D, or call 425-564-2494.

Do I have to take math even if I won’t be using it in my job?

Intermediate Algebra proficiency and a college level math class, or logic are required for an Associates in Arts and Science Degree. Some vocational programs do not require math. It is best to meet with an advisor to discuss your options and make an academic plan.

Are online classes easier than traditional classes?

Online classes are reading intensive and require self-monitoring and motivation. Some students find it difficult to take online classes because there are not as many opportunities to get clarification from instructors. Others like taking classes online because they like to work from home.

Can the DRC pay for my classes?

The DRC office does not provide funding for classes. We do refer students to campus and community programs that have funding resources and we post scholarship opportunities in our office. The Financial Aid office, the Center for Career Connections & Women’s CenterMulticultural Student Services, and Basic Food Employment and Training Program have funding resources for qualifying students.  The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation may be an option for some students.

What must I do to have accommodations in my classes?

Students should start by reading Getting Started at the DRC. This page outlines the process of signing up for DRC services and maintaining accommodations throughout your educational program at Bellevue College.

What kind of documentation do I need to provide?

Documentation guidelines are available through DRC. Documentation must be provided by the physician, psychologist, or specialist who diagnoses and treats the disability. Please review our documentation policies before submitting documentation.

How do I get my documentation?

Students can request documentation directly from their clinicians, obtain educational testing/diagnostics done by school psychologists from their school districts, or reference what may be in a file at home if parents had testing or other diagnostics done. Testing/diagnostics must be “recent” (generally three years). Educational testing can be more than three years if the testing was done as an “adult” learner within high school age. Testing over 5 years is not generally accepted. Please review our documentation policies before submitting documentation.

How do I get documentation if I do not have any?

If the disability is medical, documentation can be requested from the student’s doctor or specialist. If the student has learning disabilities they must obtain diagnostics from testing done by educational psychologists/neuropsychiatrists, or learning disability specialists. If the student has insurance this may be paid for by their plan. If the student has no insurance, referrals to appropriate vocational rehabilitation programs may be possible. The DRC may be able refer you to a community professional who can provided appropriate testing and assessment for educational accommodations. Please contact the DRC for more information.

Can you help me ask for documentation from my Doctor?

Students who have difficulty in obtaining documentation may sign a release of information form at the DRC reception desk. DRC will then request the documentation to assist the student in this process. This is done only after the student has tried unsuccessfully to obtain their doctor’s diagnosis information.

Can I get extended time if I have test anxiety?

Test anxiety is not classified as a disability. Disabilities that include anxiety are depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and general anxiety disorder. If test anxiety is part of a disability such as these the student should go through the DRC application process outlined on our Getting Started page.

Can the DRC help me pay for books and supplies?

No, the DRC does not fund students in their educational expenses. We provide course accommodations to those who are qualified for them.

I had an IEP in high school. Can I have extended time for class work?

IEPs are individual educational plans for special education programs in the K-12 environment. There is no special education program in colleges/universities. Reduced course content, extensions on homework/class projects are not possible. If there are legitimate emergencies due to accidents, illness, or surgery advocacy can be provided on a case by case basis with the instructor. The student’s self advocacy would also be required in this situation.

Can I obtain a disability parking sticker from the security office?

The Washington State handicapped placard is necessary to park in the disability parking spaces on campus. Contact your physician to request one if you qualify under state law.

Can I take the COMPASS assessment with accommodations?

Yes, please contact the DRC to determine what accommodations may be appropriate and if documentation is necessary.

Can you help me get into a class that is full?

Students who have disabilities must gain access to classes in the manner all other students do. In other words, a student who has a disability does not have priority status for entrance if the class is full.

I know I am late to register, but I need Braille/interpreters/adaptive equipment/etc. set up for classes next week. Is this possible?

These accommodations can take weeks to set up. The student may be too late with their request for these auxiliary aids. Our procedures indicate 4 weeks at a minimum to have these accommodations in place the beginning of the quarter. The college will make a good faith effort to provide on short notice; however, the reality is that given such short time lines it is doubtful this could happen.

Last Updated March 19, 2018