Step 1: Be Sure to Create your NetID Account
Your NetID account can be used to log in to your e-mail, campus computers, MyBC portal, online classes and more. NetID Management
Step 2: Purchase your Books
If you buy your books online, be sure to place your order in advance so your books arrive before the beginning of the quarter. You will find instructions on how to purchase your books on Bellevue College Bookstore website: Bellevue College Bookstore
Step 3: Be Aware of BC Attendance Policy
- Login to your Canvas class the first day classes start.
- It is very important to attend all your classes from the very first day.
- Read your class syllabus and let your instructor know if you have questions.
- If you know ahead of time that you will miss class, it is critical that you contact your instructor before the quarter starts. Employee Directory
- If you do not contact the instructor beforehand and you do not login to an online/hybrid course within the first two days of the quarter, your instructor may request that you be automatically withdrawn from the class.
- If you are dropped, it will be no later than the fifth business day of the quarter and you will receive a 100% refund minus a drop-processing fee.
Step 4: Make Sure your Technology Works
At Bellevue College, we use Canvas, Bellevue College’s Learning Management System (LMS), to deliver online and hybrid classes. Students are expected to know how to use Canvas; your instructors will not be teaching you how to use Canvas.
- Read more about basic computer specifications for Canvas: Canvas Specifications
- Read more about which browsers Canvas supports: Browsers Supported by Canvas
If you are going to buy a computer, select something reliable, and more importantly, make sure that you have access to a fast Internet connection (we recommend, but don’t require, a broadband connection). Slow computers and poor Internet connection can significantly increase the time it takes for you to access and complete the requirements for your online course.
If you struggle with a technical issue, Information Technology Service Desk is here to support you. Read more on this website: Technical Support at Bellevue College
Step 5: Check out our Canvas Workshops
Taking a Canvas workshop is very important for your success in an online or a hybrid class. We have different options for you:
“Getting Started with Canvas” online learning workshops are scheduled between quarters.
- Workshops are held over four consecutive half days.
- Registration begins four weeks prior to the end of the current quarter.
- Read what students are saying about the Online Workshops.
On Campus Workshops
On Campus Student Workshops are held the first week of the quarter.
- Workshops are 1 1/2 hours long.
- Hands on introduction to Canvas plus a Q&A session.
- Bring your own device to login to Canvas
If you are unable to attend one of the online or on-campus scheduled student workshops, you can view a recorded session. The session will be a fast-paced 30-minute overview you can watch your convenience. The recording covers the most commonly used features in Canvas. Recorded Canvas Webinars
Canvas “How-To” for Students
Short, targeted nuggets of information are listed in the Canvas Class which is self paced and open to all students. The course is designed to help students learn how to use Canvas, including technical requirements. Canvas How To Modules
Step 6: Accessing your Online Course
Now that you have taken a Canvas workshop, it is time to access your online course. You can log-in after 8 a.m. on the first day of the quarter. Attend all your classes from the start of the quarter. If you do not attend the first two class sessions, or login to an online/hybrid course within the first two days of the quarter, your instructor may request that you be administratively withdrawn from the class. If you know ahead of time that you will miss class, it is critical that you contact your instructor before the quarter starts.
If you are having trouble with Canvas, take a look at our self-help guides below:
- Why can’t I see my course(s)?
- Having trouble logging in?
- Common error messages in Canvas.
- General troubleshooting in Canvas.
- Where can I get help with Canvas?
Step 7: Review the Student Handbook
The Student Handbook helps you navigate around Bellevue College and provides answers to your questions about all the available departments and services on campus. You can pick up a free printed handbook at any of the Student Programs offices or download a PDF version.
Last Updated August 23, 2017