What is eLearning?
If you are reviewing this website, you’ve decided to investigate online learning as an alternative to a traditional classroom. But what does this really mean for you as a student?
eLearning or Distance education means education that uses one or more of the technologies: (1) The internet; (2) One-way and two-way transmissions through open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, broadband lines, fiber optics, satellite, or wireless communications devices; (3) Audio conferencing; or (4) Video cassettes, DVDs, and CD-ROMs
Here you will find a lot of useful information that will introduce you to the world of online learning.
Bellevue College eLearning encompasses all courses taught in online and hybrid formats, using Canvas, Bellevue College’s Learning Management System. Our online programming includes Associate Degrees, Online Bachelor Degrees, and Certificates.
Characteristics of eLearning Courses
What is the difference between online and hybrid and web enhanced classes?
- Online courses are delivered online via Canvas, our learning management system. In an online course, the online Canvas environment replaces the typical classroom experience for the delivery of material.
- While you are not required to come to BC campus, you may still have assignments or even proctored exams, that will take place “offline”. A number of classes do involve service learning, labs, field trips, proctored exams, activities and assignments that may not require a computer.
- Some classes may require proctored exams. The instructor will post information for you on how to take the exam from a distance, if you cannot attend the campus exam session.
- If you will be traveling outside of the US during the quarter, please be aware of any internet restrictions in the country(ies) you travel to. Some course content may not be available. Speak with your instructor/advisor about this prior to starting the course.
- Online courses will be designated on the class schedule with sections OAS, OBS, OCS, etc
- Hybrid courses are part online and part on campus. The on campus session is usually just one day per week. The rest of your work is completed online via Canvas, our learning management system. These courses will be designated on the class schedule with sections HYA, HYB, HYC, etc.
- Web enhanced courses are taught entirely on campus. The instructor will post information for you on Canvas, our learning management system. Posts may include the syllabus and handouts.
How Does eLearning Work?
In an online course, your instruction is delivered via Canvas, Bellevue College Learning Management System, rather than in a face-to-face classroom. Think of Canvas as a virtual classroom. Read more about courses in Canvas.
Strategies for success in online classes include logging on your course on the first day of class, dedicating time each day to completing your course assignments, having reliable technology and Internet connection. Read more about characteristics of successful online students
Important Class Attendance Information
At Bellevue College instructors set their own attendance standards. For online courses, logging into the class, participating in discussions, and submitting assignments, is usually considered “attendance.” You must log in to your online class on the first day of the quarter, or let your instructor know on or before the first day of the quarter if you are unable to “attend” class. Your instructor may request that Student Central withdraw you from the class if you fail to log in. Read more about Bellevue College Class Attendance.
Where can I get help with Canvas?
Canvas help is available online and on campus:
- Register for the Canvas Online workshop for Students. It is free for students and is facilitated by BC faculty. It is offered in the beginning of each quarter. It has been very popular and each quarter we have 150 students take advantage of this resource!
- A109 – ITS Service Desk will be able to assist with walk-in questions or via a Service Desk ticket or calling 425-564-4357
- Library Media Center – TechRovers at the TechHub will assist with Canvas/Printing questions or the Canvas Corner can assist if you need in depth help on assignments, discussions or viewing instructor feedback.
- eLearning Advisor – If you need more information about our online offerings, the eLearning Advisor can respond or find the correct department to assist you.
- eLearning website will be listing all information about online learning at Bellevue College.
Last Updated July 24, 2019