Out of State Students

State and Institutions Participating in SARA

Red, white and blue logo for the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
Bellevue College is a member of SARA, a regional compact recently unified under a national “Unified State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement” (SARA). This nationwide initiative makes online courses more accessible to students across state lines and make it easier for states to regulate – and institutions to participate in – interstate eLearning education.


NC-SARA maintains a list of states and institutions nationally participating in SARA. The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of post-secondary distance education courses and programs.

For more information, please visit the SARA site describing Student Benefits or the individual State Actions Regarding SARA

Before offering classes via online/distance to students who reside outside Washington state, Bellevue College, like all other higher education institutions, must obtain authorization from those states in order to offer classes to their residents. At this time, due to extraordinarily high costs to obtain authorization, and/or other limiting factors –

  • We regret that Bellevue College cannot offer distance education classes to students who live in Puerto Rico.
  • Other states like CA, MA, may have restrictions for certain online programs that require licensure and/or internships, externships, clinicals and practicums. Please contact the Program or Student Registration Office for more information.

Complaint Resolution Procedures

Students residing outside of the State of Washington while attending Bellevue College through electronically delivered classes who would like to resolve a grievance should contact the appropriate division office. However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your State.

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit Washington Student Achievement Council Complaints  for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.

SARA institution.

If the institution enrolling the student is a member of SARA then the student contacts that State SARA Portal where the institution is located. In our state, it is the Washington Student Achievement Council.

SARA institutions as of February 7, 2018

Non-SARA institution.

If the institution enrolling the student is not a SARA member and the out of state student has a complaint about that non SARA institution, then the student should find the agency in the state they are located (List of SARA approved states) that approved Bellevue College to operate in the state. If the Institute is not approved to enroll students in the state, then the student should go to that same in-state agency and ask them to take action.

Professional Licensure

Students from outside the State of Washington, who are considering a program of study that may lead to professional licensure, should contact the appropriate licensing agency in their state of residence before beginning a course of study.

For your convenience, please check on the licensing requirements for the state where you will seek employment. If you experience difficulty finding the licensure requirements for a specific state, please contact the program’s advisor for help.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements Policy and Operations Manual

Teacher Education: Directory of Certification/Licensure Offices
Nursing: Directory of State Boards Offices

For states denoted by an *, please check the state website for updated information.