Introduction to Culturally Responsive Instruction

Students working on a project

This course is the culmination of four years of hard work by members of the Faculty Commons, the Achieving the Dream Faculty PD Committee, and multiple partners across campus.  Over 100 faculty and staff have either developed or reviewed this course, and our goal is to eventually have it become a regular part of new faculty onboarding! The vision of this course is to provide a foundation for all BC faculty to create a more culturally responsive (CR) campus, both in and outside the classroom. The course focuses on four core equity practices all faculty can use to create a more inclusive environment, increasing students’ sense of belonging and connection to our college. Interwoven throughout the course are quick comprehension checks, two short assignments, and connections faculty can make to on and off campus resources.

Instructors completing this course will:

1. Gain a foundational understanding of culturally responsive instruction and their own implicit biases and positionality.

2. Understand how the practices in High 5 create a learning environment in which all students experience a sense of academic belonging, success, and agency.

3. Develop a theoretical and practical understanding of Universal Design for Learning (UDL).

4. Learn ways to use Canvas to engage students in a well-structured and transparent course.

“The most valuable experience I learned is about how to design a student-centered syllabus. The sample syllabi are very useful, and I’m already in the process of re-designing my syllabi for the spring quarter.”

“High 5 for sure. Specifically, the concept of being clear with expectations, but also being flexible. I have a hard time with that, but I learned some strategies that will help me create a better learning environment for my students.”

“I will now have specific course outcomes at the top of every assignment.”

“It was very useful to apply what I learned on my own assignment in the final gallery project as well as see/comment on how others applied the concepts in the class to their own courses.  Direct examples are always very helpful for me!”

“The most valuable part of this course was seeing how to bring in more UDL across the classes I teach.”

Fully Online: Course is open April 2-May 24. Please sign up by April 12.

8 PD Hours 

$250 stipend with successful completion (This stipend is provided through Guided Pathways funding)

12 seat maximum: Register here to secure your spot.

Reach out to Dellyssa Edinboro, Cultural and Ethnic Studies, with questions. 

Last Updated February 23, 2024