High 5 for Online Instruction is a required part of Phase II of the OETA. This course, facilitated by Jen Anderson and Tonya Estes, leads faculty through 5 equity-creating practices that help online instructors build community, connect with our students, create clear assignments, and stay flexible within a well-structured Canvas course. This workshop helps you apply these practices to your online course.
After completion of this workshop, you will be able to:
- apply a variety of strategies to use students’ names and pronouns in an online course
- develop a structured online course while applying a flexible approach to address student needs
- apply early intervention strategies to address students’ progress and behavior
- construct and revise assignments using the transparency theory to enhance the clarity of expectations for online students
- develop a quarter-long communication plan
- connect with colleagues to create a learning community
Successful completion will satisfy 12 hours of Phase II and you’ll receive a badge!
Please note: Carefully consider your other commitments before signing up! If you do not actively engage in the course within the first week, you will be removed. You will have the opportunity to sign up for a future offering, but that is not guaranteed.
Poly-synchronous: Canvas-based and 1 collaborative requirement (you and one other participant will collaborate on an assignment in Week 2)
Winter Quarter: Monday, January 22 – Friday, February 16 (30 seats)
Last Updated November 28, 2023