Frequently Asked Questions

Graduation FAQs


What are the basic requirements for earning a degree or certificate?

There are both college and specific program requirements you must meet to earn a degree or certificate. The website and the college catalog detail the requirements you must meet to graduate.

  • Click HERE to access specific requirements for your program.
  • Basic college graduation requirements.
    • Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 in all coursework taken at Bellevue College.
    • Earn a minimum cumulative GPA in all courses applied to the degree/certificate, including credits transferred from other colleges.
    • Complete the minimum required residence credits at Bellevue College: one-third of the credits needed for an associate degree or certificate, or 45 credits needed for a bachelor’s degree. There are both college and specific program requirements you must meet to earn a degree or certificate. The website and the college catalog detail the requirements you must meet to graduate.

I started working on my degree many years ago and the graduation requirements have changed. Which requirements should I follow?

You may choose to graduate using the requirements that were in effect at the time you began taking classes at Bellevue College, or you may use the requirements that are in place at the time you apply to graduate. The following restrictions apply:

  • Not more than five years have elapsed since you began your studies, and
  • You have been continuously enrolled (did not have a break in enrollment) at the college.
  • If you plan to transfer to another college or university, you may wish to check the admission requirements of the school you plan to attend. Choosing to follow the most current degree requirements may help ensure that you meet current admission and transfer standards.

What should I do if I’ve taken classes at another school?

Credits earned at another school may apply to your degree or certificate program here at Bellevue College. Additionally, credits from another school might also meet the prerequisite requirements of courses you need to graduate. For these reasons, you should consider submitting an official transcript from other schools you attended, and request to have your credits evaluated. It is best to do this at the time you begin taking classes at Bellevue College, rather than wait until you are close to graduation. Credit Evaluations can take up to eight weeks. Click HERE for detailed information.

To apply credits from another college or university toward BC degree or certificate requirements, official transcripts (in their original, sealed envelopes) must be submitted to the Evaluations Office along with the graduation application.  Please request to send the transcripts to the address below:

Evaluations/Graduation Office
Bellevue College
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue, WA 98007-6406

How can I find out if I’m close to graduation?

Use this link to access the Degree Audit online tool. Degree Audit allows you to see how your classes apply to your degree requirements, and how many classes you have left to take. Students should use this tool with caution, as it provides an unofficial review. We also encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to go over your Degree Audit results and to plan for the classes you have left to take. Degree Audit is a secure system, which you access using your Student ID and PIN.

Application FAQs

Is there a fee for graduation?

Yes, there is a $21.50 non-refundable application fee. If you do not meet the graduation requirements in the quarter you expect to graduate, you can ask to move your application to the next quarter. You must complete the online Student Inquiry Form to request this action.

How do I change my graduation application once I’ve submitted it?

You may go online and submit a Student Inquiry Form, or go to the Enrollment Services on the 1st floor of Building B and submit your change in person.

Commencement/Graduation FAQs

Can I graduate with an Honors designation?

The college does have an option for students to graduate with honors. An Honors designation is indicated on your official transcript, in the Commencement program, on your Diploma, and by the display of Honor’s cords in the Commencement Ceremony. Please note the following:

  • The Honors designation is available for all students completing a degree or certificate that is at least 45 credits in length.
  • Courses transferred to Bellevue College form other schools you have attended are not included in the GPA for an Honors Designation.
  • Designation for Associate Degrees and Certificates of Achievement
    • Distinction: Cumulative GPA between 3.50 and 3.74
    • High Distinction: Cumulative GPA between 3.75 and 4.00
  • Designation for Bachelor Degrees
    • Cum laude: Cumulative GPA between 3.60 and 3.79
    • Magna cum laude: Cumulative GPA between 3.80 and 3.99
    • Summa cum laude: Cumulative GPA is 4.00

Who can participate in the Commencement Ceremony?

All students who have earned any degree or certificate in the fall or winter quarters or have applied to graduate in spring or summer are invited to attend.

When is the Commencement Ceremony held?

The Commencement Ceremony is held once each year in June.


Diploma FAQs

I lost my diploma. Can I get a replacement?


Regular Office Hours:

Monday – Wednesday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Thursday: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm


Last Updated November 16, 2017