Online Writing Labs
I’ve put together a few links from around the academic web. Feel free to send me sites you recommend and share the ones you like with friends.
- The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University: This is a great all-around resource for writing, format, grammar, and style.
- University Writing Centers: These universities give a more extensive look at the writing process, breaking down the different stages and types of writing, while emphasizing, overall, what it means to write at the college level.
General Writing Guides
- AMA Style Guide: Dr Abel Scribe PhD: Abel Scribe gives a breakdown of the most important rules for AMA Style
- U of Wisconsin’s Writing Center Handbook: This gives you extensive links to academic and professional writing, the writing process, structure, grammar, punctuation, and citing references
Videos On Writing
- OWL Youtube Channel: This channel has videos on writing, rhetoric, grammar, style, and punctuation for native and non-native English speakers
- The Writing Process: An animated guide to writing a blog. Pay attention to how much work goes into planning, outlining, brainstorming, and data gathering
- Introduction to Academic Writing: A good video for getting a broad sense of what it means to write in college
- Online Writing Tutorial: Focuses on grammar, punctuation, organization, or style. Contains quizzes to test your skill level
- Harvard Writes: Harvard faculty from all disciplines talk about forming academic arguments
Classroom Tutorials: Writing in the Sciences
These are video tutorials from Stanford University’s online course Writing in the Sciences. You can sign up for this course for free, or you can view its tutorials below:
- Overview of the writing process
- Advice on writing papers in the Sciences
- Experimenting with Punctuation
Life Sciences Writing Handbook
Last Updated October 18, 2018