English Language Institute / University Preparation (ELIUP) Students
All grades are included on your academic transcript, even courses completed in the ELIUP program. These grades do become a part of your GPA (Grade Point Average) even when you continue in the College Program. Each quarter you will be expected to finish the level you enrolled in and progress to the next level.
ACADEMIC WARNING: If you fail a class the first time, you will receive a second chance to repeat it for the next quarter. Your teachers will know that you are repeating a class and will be available to help you.
ACADEMIC PROBATION: If you fail a class a second time, all of your teachers from that quarter will need to agree that you can continue in the program.
- If all teachers say “yes” to allow a third repeat of the class: You will be able to repeat the class a third and final time. You will need to sign a contract with your international advisor and agree to attend all classes and complete all homework. If you do not complete the requirements of this contract, you may be dismissed from the ELIUP program.
- If some of your teachers say “no” to allow a third repeat of the class: You will be dismissed from the program. You will need to leave the college’s English Language program and enroll at another college within 15 days.
If you have a TOEFL score of 500 PBT (61 iBT) or above, you will be permitted to return to Bellevue College and may apply to the College Credit program.
All grades are included on your academic transcript, even courses completed in the ELIUP program. These grades do become a part of your GPA (Grade Point Average). Each quarter you will be expected to make academic progress.
You can check your Unofficial Transcript on the Bellevue College website under “Online Services:” View Unofficial Transcript
If you need to order an Official Transcript, you can use the link under Bellevue College “Online Services:” Official Transcript Request
Understanding Your Transcript
You will see 3 kinds of GPAs (Grade Point Averages) on your transcript.
- Qtryl: Quarterly GPA: Each quarter you will earn a “quarterly” GPA. This is the average of all courses taken in a specific quarter
- Cum: Cumulative GPA: Your cumulative GPA is an average of ALL COURSES ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT, INCLUDING ELIUP COURSES.
- Clvl: College Level GPA: Your college level GPA is the average of ALL COURSES THAT ARE NUMBERED 100 OR HIGHER . For example, ENGL 101 is a college level course. However, ENGL 93 is not a college level course, because the course number is below 100.
If you repeat a class, you must complete a Repeated Coursework Request. You can complete this request under Online Services here: Repeated Coursework Request
Your GPA will be recalculated with the value of the new grade. If you repeat a class, this will not erase the old grade on your transcript. The old grade will be listed with a “R” (for Repeated) next to it and your GPA will be recalculated.
Your international advisor will monitor your GPA and academic progress. As a student on an F-1 Visa:
- You must make normal progress toward completing a course of study by the program end date on your I-20.
- According to Bellevue College Academic Standards, “academic progress” means you must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better to remain in good academic standing.
- If you do not make academic progress, it is not possible to complete your academic goals by your I-20 end date and your F-1 visa risks being out of status.
Academic Concern: The first quarter you earn a quarterly GPA of less than 2.0 AND your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will be on academic warning. Your advisor ask you to make an appointment to discuss your academic progress.
Academic Intervention: The second quarter you earn a quarterly GPA of less than 2.0 AND your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will be on academic probation. A block will be placed on your student account. You will be required to meet with your international advisor to discuss your academic progress. You will also be asked to sign an Academic Agreement.
Academic Restriction: The third quarter you earn a quarterly GPA of less than 2.0 AND your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will be sent a termination warning letter. This letter explains that you are not making academic progress. According to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), F-1 visa students are required to make academic progress in order to complete their I-20 by the program end date. A block will be placed on your student account. You will not be permitted to register for future quarters. You must meet with the Assistant Director of Student Success to discuss your Academic Agreement and discuss how you will improve your situation. If you do not take action, you will not be permitted to register. This will cause a problem with your visa status and your SEVIS record may be terminated.
The general Bellevue College Academic Standards Policies are here.
Contact your international advisor if you have questions about grades, academic progress or if you are facing challenges with your studies.
Last Updated April 5, 2021