Required Travel Documents

  • A valid passport
  • A valid I-20 and other recommended documents
  • A visa: Some countries require a visa for entry. For example:
  • If you need to renew your F-1 visa before returning to the U.S., IE recommends that you bring your class schedule, BC official transcript, financial documents, and an enrollment verification letter from your IE advisor to your visa interview.

Reentry to the U.S. from Canada and Mexico with an expired visa

F-1 students with an expired U.S. visa may continue to re-enter the U.S. from Canada or Mexico as long as they meet the following criteria:

  • Passport and current SEVIS I-20 are still valid
  • You remain in Canada or Mexico for no more than 30 days, and you do not leave Canada or Mexico during those 30 days
  • You have not applied for a new U.S. visa while in Canada or Mexico and had that application denied
  • You are not from Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, North Korea, or Cuba
  • Your home country is not Mexico.

Travel Tips

  • Frequently Asked Questions for Travel Re-entry: F Visa

Last Updated October 21, 2021