The Overseas Online Program allows students to start taking courses online/remotely while they are waiting to arrive in the US as BC’s F-1 student.
As long as students are fully aware of the below contents, potential risks, and are confident in handling classes, students may take up to 18cr (3 classes) in their first term.
For specific questions please read the respective program details first and then email the Director of International Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Details for Download
College-Level Overseas Online
ALL overseas online students must meet all conditions BEFORE they are allowed to sign-up for any online, credit bearing courses at BC:
- Be at least 16 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- Be accepted to the college-level program at BC.
- Recommended to have met an English proficiency level high enough to be placed into English 101 by meeting one of the methods:
- An official internet-based TOEFL 65 and a writing score about 16;
- An official academic IELTS overall band score of 6.0 with writing score of 6.0;
- Advanced Placement (AP) English Language/Comp or English Literature/Comp scores of 4 or 5;
- International Baccalaureate (IB) English A Language & Literature or English A Literature scores of 5, 6, or 7;
- IGCSE or O-level’s First English Language with a grade of a “B” or higher;
- Successful completion of BC’s Bridge Pathway program with a grade of “C-“ in English 93;
- Successful completion of BC’s intensive English program with a grade of an “A-“in Integrated Skills 5 and “B-“in all other courses.
- BC’s English Placement Test result with placement into English 101
- Must have reliable technology that meets Canvas specification (https://guides.instructure.com/m/67952/l/720328) and have access to browsers that support Canvas.
- Complete the Acknowledgement form and IE overseas online orientation on the International Student Portal once accepted.
All overseas online students are required to maintain at least a 2.0 quarterly and cumulative GPA to be able to continue participating in the overseas online program.
In the US, instructors teach their classes differently.
- Asynchronous learning means students learn the same materials at different times and locations on their own without real-time interaction.
- Synchronous learning means students learn the same materials at the same time (real-time) by attending lectures and discussion groups
- Blended learning includes both asynchronous and synchronous methods.
What are the impacts on you?
- Time difference – Synchronous and “blended” models require you to participate in the course(s) based on the Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).
- Time management – Asynchronous learning will test your time management skills, because there are no set lectures/class-time.
Summer estimated quarterly total (excluding books) for 15 credits (3 classes) is $3,338.00 USD.
Estimated quarterly books: $310 USD, excluding any shipment costs
Fall estimated quarterly total (excluding books) for 15 credits (3 classes) is $3,431.00 USD
Estimated quarterly books: $314 USD, excluding any shipment costs
Last Updated July 15, 2021