Can Pre-Med Students Get An Internship?
For students who are considering a medical profession or are trying to get into medical school, an internship is a good way to get exposure to the field. However, there are many legal restrictions that prevent non-credentialed students from participating in a medical internship. In other words, you must wait until you’re in medical or nursing school before you can participate in a medical or nursing internship. Until then, you can and should gain experience working in a medical environment.
Experience Working in a Medical Environment
The best way to gain experience working in a medical environment is to volunteer. There are many great volunteer opportunities in the Puget Sound area. Below is a list of area hospitals, medical-related organizations, and volunteer databases that will be helpful in your search for a medical volunteer opportunity.
- Overlake Hospital Medical Center http://www.overlakehospital.org/zTest/volunteering/index.aspx
Contact Leah Smith at (425) 688-5369
- Swedish Medical Center http://www.swedish.org/body.cfm?id=89
- Children’s Hospital & Regional Medical Center http://seattlechildrens.org/ways-to-help/volunteer/
- Harborview Medical Center http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Patient-Care/Locations/HMC/…
- EvergreenHealth https://www.evergreenhealth.com/volunteer
- UW Medical Center http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Patient-Care/…
- Valley Medical Center http://www.valleymed.org/Our-Services/Volunteers/Volunteer/
- Virginia Mason Medical Center https://www.virginiamason.org/home/body.cfm?id=752
- Group Health http://www.ghc.org/about_gh/comm_involvement/volunteer.jhtml
Contact Candy Troy at email@example.com
- Northwest Hospital & Medical Center http://www.nwhospital.org/jobs/volunteers.asp
- Highline Medical Center (Burien and Tukwila) http://www.highlinemedicalcenter.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Franciscan Health System (Tacoma) http://www.fhshealth.org/services/..
- Multi-Care (Tacoma) http://waystohelp.multicare.org/volunteer-services
- Snoqualmie Valley Hospitalhttp://www.snoqualmiehospital.org/community/volunteers
- Project Hope(Washington D.C.) http://www.projecthope.org/get-involved/volunteer/
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center http://www.fhcrc.org/donating/other/volservices/
- Public Health Reserve Corps http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/..
- Mayor’s Office for Senior Citizens – Volunteer Resource Center http://www.seattle.gov/humanservices/seniorsdisabled/mosc/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/Involved/Volunteer/…
- Northwest Burn Foundation http://nwburn.org/volunteer/
- Seattle Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/wa/seattle/volunteer
- Providence Hospice of Seattle http://www.providenceiscalling.jobs/locations/washington.html
- Providence Hospice of Seattle http://washington.providence.org/in-home-services/hospice-of-seattle/donate-and-volunteer/volunteer/
- Caregiver List http://www.caregiverlist.com/CaregivingJobs.aspx
Last Updated October 23, 2015