Q & A with Nicole M. Kahasha

Nicole-KahashaInternational student expounds on why BC was the right choice for her

Q: Do you plan to transfer?

I plan to transfer to Seattle University and get my bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, focusing in renewable energy.

Q: When will you be finished at BC?

I will likely be done with my associate degree in science at BC in spring 2017.

Q: Why did you choose BC?

Bellevue College met all my criteria when choosing a school. It is located in a very beautiful and quiet city that is full of opportunities in my intended career field, and it has a very welcoming community. Also, BC has small classes which allow me to easily communicate with my instructors, and also offers a great education at a very affordable price.

Q: What’s been your favorite class here so far and why?

My favorite classes at BC were my math classes. Not only are the teachers great, but also I was involved in different projects in which I learned the application of mathematics in real life, such as facial recognition in linear algebra, mapping regions in multi-variable calculus, determining volumes using integrals, and much more.

Q: Where is your favorite place to study?

I enjoy studying in the Library because I can use a white board and pretend to be a teacher by trying to explain to myself!

Q: Have you had any memorable professors here?

My favorite professor was Jennifer Townsend. She is a really demanding math teacher, but she is really nice and caring. She supported me when I was going through some difficult times in my life, and she was always available when I needed help in math. She also taught me that asking for help is not a sign of weakness because it requires courage to realize our own limits.

Q: What do you like to do in Bellevue in your free time?

When I have free time, I usually volunteer at a kid’s museum in Factoria or I go for a walk in downtown Bellevue.

Q: What would you say to someone considering a course of study at BC?

BC is a great school because of the hospitality and the diversity of its community. There are also many resources available to students in order to help them find their way academically, professionally, and socially. BC’s campus life also provides leadership opportunities in student government, which helps them to go beyond the comfort zone and get involved in different clubs and programs.

Last Updated October 3, 2016