Student Stories: Mock Interview Reflections

3rd year students completed mock interviews May 2. In class they reviewed interviewers’ comments and reflected on their mock interview experience.

Talk about one thing you learned about yourself after participating in the Mock Interviews:

• I learned that it is important to be yourself and shorter responses.
  • That I am a warm person …. that I am comfortable working with other people.
  • What I learned about myself was I didn’t need to put on a show to make a first good impression. I just needed to be myself and tell my story in a true, authentic way.
  • That I need to give myself more credit when it comes to my intelligence because sometimes I have times where I doubt it.
  • I learned that I have a difficult time answering unexpected questions in an interview.
  • I learned that I need to act more confident and ask more questions.

Describe your experience with the Mock Interviews this time compared to your Mock Interview experience as a first year student:

• The first time we did Mock Interviews, I was brand new to the program, I didn’t have any idea what to expect in those interviews, and I feel I was just barreling on through the interviews. This time, I was much more prepared, much more confident, and had a much better understanding of what to expect. I feel I really got a chance to tell MY story and MY accomplishments this time around. The first time I was just trying to survive the interviews. It was great that I finally got a chance to really express myself in a true, authentic way.
  • I was more prepared and confident for these interviews then I was as a first year. I have improved on my physical presence with not having my hand up to my face. In addition, my rambling of my answers have decreased as a result of my practicing both during class and at outside of class. Overall, this was a successful interviews this time around.
  • I had so much fun with this mock interviewing experience. My first year mock interviews I can remember that I was a lot more nervous, didn’t really feel as prepared as I did this time around. I think that because of the amount of research that I have done for the career that I am focusing on getting has helped me a lot. I know what to expect going into the job. It’s also the fact that this time with my mock interviews, I just felt completely comfortable compared to 1st year. I just gave it my all and just went for it. The last thing that made it so great this time was all of the positive feedback that I got from each of the 2 individuals that in interviewed with.
  • My experience when I was first year I was nervous I didn’t practice as much as I should of, I didn’t ask for help by my mom. I felt really awkward when I did it as first year and I didn’t feel as ready as I did this time.

Group of OLS Students sitting at their desks reading in class

OLS Student studying mock interview feedback

OLS Studdent studying mock interview feedback

OLS Student smiling at camera sitting at desk

OLS Student reads mock interview feedback

Students studying mock interview feedback

Workplace Problem Solving is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an upcoming Information Session.

Last Updated June 18, 2018