Internship: Sawyer Lake Veterinary Hospital

4th year student Justin completed his internship at Sawyer Lake Veterinary Hospital as a Kennel Assistant/Animal Car Provider. He shares part of his experience below:

How does what you did or learned at your internship fit in with your career goals?
Because I want to take care of animals, I have determination to get the work done. I’m also a hard worker, and the task that I did really brought out the best of my abilities. What I learned was a bit difficult, but over time it became knowledgeable to me, and I was able to perform great.

What skills that you acquired during the OLS program were useful to you at your internship?
Communication, teamwork, leadership, adaptability, and advocacy. These skill were ones that I have had trouble with in the past, but OLS helped me be better in performing these skills and helped me perform great at my internship and with my coworkers, supervisors, and classmates.

Share one story or special moment that has special meaning to you from your internship:
A great moment was when I was asked to take care of these kittens that were up for adoption, one of the kittens was very friendly towards people, but the other was afraid and not socialized. I was tasked making the kitten be better, more comfortable around people by spending time with them both. At first there wasn’t much progress, the kitten was avoiding and didn’t feel comfortable being helped, but after 2 weeks I finally made progress with holding and petting him. The kitten began to purr and liked to be help and wasn’t afraid when people approached. It was a great moment for me because, thanks to my help, that kitten was able to get adopted and be taken to a family and have a home.

OLS Student at an Internship

OLS Student works with cat at veterninary clinic

OLS Student working with three cats at veterinary clinic

OLS Students complete a 200-hour internship in their 4th year of our program. We partner with local businesses to provide students an internship related to their career pathway. For more information on internships in our program, please visit our Internship Page.

You can learn more about becoming an OLS Student by registering for an Information Session.

Last Updated July 18, 2018