3rd Year Mock Interviews

Large group of young adult students and professionals group photo on staircase

Back in April we shared a story about mock interviews with first year OLS students, their first of three they will do throughout their time in the program. On April 24, 3rd year students participated in their second mock interviews.

Students spend time in their Workplace Problem Solving course preparing for these interviews by reflecting on and reviewing feedback from their first year mock interviews, further developing their “60-second sell,” and researching and preparing answers for common interview questions. These mock interviews provide a realistic interview experience for the student, and the position the student is “interviewing” for in this activity is the position they identified interest in for their 4th year internship.

Young man smiles for camera in front of business office

Following the activity students are provided feedback from their interviewer and spend time reflecting on their experience. Here are a few of their responses:

Talk about one thing you learned about yourself after participating in the Mock Interviews:

• I learned a lot about myself after the interviews, I mostly learned that I am a very bright positive person, and I have a lot to offer.
  • I am far more employable than I originally thought.
  • I learned that I am more confident than I give myself credit for, and that I can do better than I thought I could do on my own.
  • What I’ve learned about myself after participating in the Mock Interviews is that I’ve gotten better at describing myself, telling stories and telling about what my dream job is.
  • I’m passionate about what I want to do therefore it was easy to talk about in my interview.
young woman and professional business woman sit at table and smile for camera

Describe your experience with the Mock Interviews this time compared to your Mock Interview experience as a first year student.

• I was very nervous when I was a first year because it was the first time going into an interview. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I had a good experience with the mock interviews first year, and they helped prepare for the interview that got me my job I have now. As a 3rd year, because of my past experiences, I was prepared for the mock interviews.
  • Mostly going into these mock interviews I had way more confidence, and I was a lot more relaxed and calmer. My first-year interviews I was so nervous and feeling like I was a fish out of water. I remember my first year I was very stressed out, and I did not like my interviews very much.
  • When it came to 1st year mock interviews, I feel like I was not as prepared as I should have been. Compared to this mock interview, I definitely went into the interview prepared and ready to do an interview. First year mock interviews, just like anyone else in the first year, I was nervous and did not know what to expect, but after the few years I gradually got more and more used to speaking up and doing interviews.
  • In my first year I didn’t have as strong a sense of what I should and shouldn’t say as I do now as a third year. As a first year I had a more difficult time doing something that gets me out of my comfort zone like the mock interviews compared to my third year. I have techniques to calm down in stressful situations that I didn’t have in my first year.
  • The current mock interviews went more fluently and confidently compared to my first-year experience. During the first-year mock interviews, I talked about my disability and how I resigned early from my job for my coworker’s discrimination, etc. This year, I kept the focus on my successes, my abilities, and my achievements. Also, I had more confidence with the current mock interviews due to the past experience. With that, I had an idea of what was going to happen and how the interviews were going to be conducted.

It is always a proud moment for us when students can see the difference our program can make for them. This activity shows students how the skills they are gaining in the OLS program, both personal and professional, help them develop more confidence as they move forward toward achieving their goals. Way to go, 3rd years! We are so proud of everything you are accomplishing.

Workplace Problem Solving is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an Information Session.

Last Updated January 16, 2020