You’ve Been Hacked: Personal Finance Exercise

Four young adult students work on a project

Imagine you have lost your job and then find out your checking account has been hacked. Can things get any worse? Thankfully for our students taking Personal Finance, this was just a simulated exercise using LifeSim, a personal finance simulator developed by our instructor Nathan Schloetel and a foundational element of our Personal Finance courses.

Students worked together to clearly define the problems facing them, explore how their SIM life is being impacted, and find a workable solution.

three young adult students work on a project on a computer

Here are some of their solutions:

1. Move in with parents:
    – I chose this solution because my parents would love it if I moved in with them and would have no problem with me staying there for a few weeks.
    – I chose this solution because it’s the most emotional comforting and there nothing like mom’s meatloaf.
  2. Ask to live with Aunt Edna (a character in the LifeSim) until I get a job:
    – I chose this solution because if I do get the job at the café it’s close to where Aunt Edna lives so it would be an easy commute plus she is family, and I have done a lot for her over the years.
    – I chose this solution because I don’t have any money and she’s my favorite aunt. I’m sure she would be delighted to help me get back on my feet.

Personal Finance is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an Information Session.

Last Updated January 16, 2020