Writing Prompts

young adult woman sits at a computer

Our Critical Thinking Through Writing course helps students build confidence and skills in expressing their thinking through writing. One way to help build that confidence is to have students do a writing prompt nearly every class. This gives students the opportunity to express themselves on a wide variety of  topics. 

Some of the topics have included “Describe a happy memory of yours”, “What are the hidden rules of friendship?”, and “What does community mean to you? What brings a community together?”.

The writing prompt can also serve as an introduction to a particular type of writing that is explored during class. For example, to begin the class on descriptive writing the writing prompt was “Describe your ideal apartment or house. What does it look like on the outside and the inside? What neighborhood is it in? Use descriptive words to make it vivid in your imagination.” 

For the class on persuasive writing the writing prompt was “Write about a time you had to convince someone to see something your way. Describe the situation, the action you took and the result you achieved.”

Emma is one student taking the course this quarter, and we had a chance to catch up with her about her experience taking the class. Here’s what she had to say:

What do you like most about the OLS writing course? What I really enjoy about my writing course is I’m learning how to get in depth when I write. I always look forward to this class. Being able to help others In class is something that’s at the top of my list. I actually learn from this class. Making it more fun for me. I couldn’t ask for a better teacher to learn from too.  

Is writing something you generally enjoy doing? For me personally I do enjoy writing. In many ways actually. I write song lyrics which I’ve been doing since I was 14 years old. I’ve written up to 40 songs so far. Which I constantly am writing songs so that number changes quickly. I’m in the process of writing two stories that are mystery, and I am also writing a book, too. 

Emma also shared one of her writing prompts with us:

Hawaii
I took many photos when I was in Maui. Their was one though, I just felt I could just take a moment to breath slow, smelling the fresh air. The scent of seaweed caught my nose, smelling like fresh sushi. Watching the sky as it changed color to light grayish with the faded clouds to blue to a cotton candy pink. Seeing how the sun was slowly going down. Dad and me driving on the road back to our airbnb from checking out beautiful glowing like waterfall. While sitting in the passenger seat that was faded black, looking down at my white slip on vans coated in dark black dirt as it chips off. Thinking to myself how the road is so quite, no cars in sight kind of made it more peaceful to enjoy. Only hearing the clear blue waves splashing against the dark rocks and the radio was playing. In that moment I thought I don’t want this day to end.

Why did you choose to share this particular prompt? I chose this writing prompt because it was all about other students guessing what everyone’s paragraph was about while the teacher read them out loud to us. Giving the class a idea in their head of what the place might be or a specific place or type of movie or show. We didn’t know whose was who. With no picture provided was even more tricky. After the picture was shown at the end the teacher asked us if it was what we thought the paragraph was about and whose each it was. I enjoyed talking about a place that I went to personally. How it made me feel happy when I was their with the warm weather that surrounded me almost everyday. 

Critical Thinking Through Writing is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an Information Session.

Last Updated March 10, 2020