Career Hats

During Winter Quarter, OLS Bellevue College students enrolled in Individual Studies re-examine their career paths through a project called Career Hats. This project helps them explore their chosen careers and what it will take to accomplish their goals.

Here are two examples from this year’s Career Hat project, by Katelyn and Elly.

Why Costco and Why Costco Warehouse?

By: Katelyn

red costo hat

This hat represents growth and opportunity. A future that you can’t wait for. A smile on your face and determination in your blood. A curiosity of different roles it can offer you. Thinking on your feet and quick hands. Collaborations with others and independent thinking. From having high standards and great ethics. Lastly, thick skin and letting things roll off you and bouncing right back up. 

From putting things into a cart like in the game Tetris and having quick hands like the Rockem Sockem Robots. Solving problems like Inspector Gadget. Helping others by making sure that everyone is happy and satisfied. Being able to take directions from others. Also, understanding the computer system that they have. You will need to be able to complete tasks quickly and accurately. You will need to think for yourself and use your common knowledge of what you should be doing. Lastly, never stand. Always stay in motion and be vocal and never silent. 

Lucky for me you don’t need any education! I just need to be 18 years old to represent and working Costco. 

Loud, fast, and high standers. Those are three words I would describe Costco Warehouse. If you like a slow, not stressful, quiet job, Costco Warehouse isn’t for you. 

Why I chose Costco Warehouse? Job security, teaching, fast pace, high standers, ethics, great pay that can increase, benefits, and job growth. Although, since working there I can now add the people I work with. They make it a great career for me. 

By: Elly

Job’s Title: Artist

clip art of artist berat

Career Skills: Ability to make decisions, designing things, critical thinking, time management, individual work and communication with others

Career Duties: Character designing, painting, designing things, developing creative ideas, create sketches, collaborate with others

Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Arts

Artist’s Environment: Can be working at home or at an office. Can be in commercial-art studios / can also be working at home in a private studio.

What I like: The creativity about doing character designing as well as being an artist in general. It’s also something that I’ve been passionate about for several years now. It’s also really fun to make things for people and myself!

Individual Studies is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an upcoming Information Session.

[ssba-buttons]

Last Updated July 16, 2020