First Week of Fall Quarter Contest

We kicked off Fall Quarter 2020 with a giveaway for OLS students to win some OLS goods. Students submitted photos of themselves at their workstations and let us know how their first week of classes went.

Congratulations to our winner, Dan, a first year student! He will be getting his package of goods soon.

“The best part of my week was learning lab. I’m enjoying the Mindfulness course the most.

One of the challenges was when I wasn’t sure what the class was talking about, and I asked for help. One thing I was proud of was turning in my assignments.”

~Dan

An OLS student smiles for a picture in front of him home desk

So glad to hear you had a great first week at OLS, Dan. Keep up the great work!

Here a few more of the submissions we received:

“My week is going very well. I really enjoy starting back to school and mentoring this year. The best part of my week is getting to learn something new that I have not heard of. One challenge I overcame this week was trying to balance my work, mentoring and school and not too get too overwhelmed. One thing that I am proud of is being able to use the skills I learned from work and being able to help other classmates access something on Teams or anything that my classmates need help with.”

~Panida

An OLS student working on her home computer

I’m really enjoying finance because yes that class is really hard, but I like to be challenged in life and math isn’t the best subject for me, and I really always wanted to be challenged in high school, but I never got that opportunity so I finally get that. My best part of my week is being creative in my work on the leadership clubs and making the flyers and being creative in my work.

I have overcome the rounding numbers in finance because that is something I never got, though I got introduced to it in 6th grade, but that’s it. I never really learned how to do it so it was hard, but I never gave up even how hard it was. I’m proud of myself for trying my best and starting my year good.”

~Nia

An OLS student poses for a photo in front of her laptop

The class that I am enjoying the most so far is Learning Strategies because of my instructor. I really like Ms. Fletcher, and I also like what we are learning about and what we have for homework. The best part of my week was starting college and figuring how my classes will be like. I enjoyed doing the assignments and meeting my instructors.

The one challenge I overcame this week was figuring out to do Microsoft outlook and teams. And submitting homework with Microsoft computers. I am used to google docs because I used it in high school so learning how to do Microsoft took some time. I am proud of submitting my first assignment for OLS because it shows that I am going to work hard in this program. I was proud of myself for knowing how to submit Microsoft word and doing it correctly once I did.  Also, it is very exciting to have your first assignment completed because you begin college.

~Grace

An OLS student works on her computer at her home desk

One of the classes I’m enjoying the most so far in my fourth year is Cultural Awareness. It’s helps me to learn more about different ethnic backgrounds and understanding a person’s point of view. The best part of my week was discussing my Career Pathway with Ms. Readiness about helping with Photographer for my internship.

The challenge I overcame this week was understanding the feedback my instructor gave me after I submitted my assignments to Canvas. Sometimes, I know the answers by heart and I thought I was reading the question carefully. It may not be simple when it comes to double checking the questions on the assignment. The one thing that I’m super proud of is helping my group in to remember what our instructor wants us to do for the assignment in Controversial Issues in the Workplace class.

~Drew

An OLS student works on his home computer

Thank you to everyone who participated, and be sure to keep a lookout for our next giveaway and keep participating!

Last Updated October 5, 2020