Original Date: 4/14/2009 * Last Revision Effective: 6/5/2019
Policy Contact: Provost for Academic and Student Affairs
Bellevue College awards credit for prior learning completed through private study, non-accredited institutions, military training, other industry-related certificates and trainings, and certain examinations under the following conditions:
- Prior learning credits awarded by Bellevue College can be applied to Bellevue College certificates and degrees.
- The college makes no claim regarding the application or transfer of awarded credits to the programs at other institutions.
- Students who wish to receive credit for prior learning must follow the procedures in 3110P.
- The college charges a fee, established in 3110P, for prior learning credit.
- Awarded credits are limited by the college residency requirements and Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities accreditation standards for prior experiential learning.
- The college assigns a satisfactory (S) grade for prior learning credits awarded by Bellevue College. This grade does not calculate into the student’s college grade point average (GPA).
In accordance with the standards set by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges and the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC), the college recognizes four categories of academic credit for prior learning:
- Credit by testing
- Prior experiential learning
- Extra-institutional learning
- Course challenge
The Evaluations & Graduation Office
- Works collaboratively with department chairs and faculty to determine the appropriate awarding of credit for prior learning and has responsibility for enforcing procedures that accompany the policy.
Academic Affairs: Department Chairs
- Faculty department chairs work collaboratively with students and the Evaluations & Graduation Office to evaluate and assess the proper awarding of prior learning credit.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Academic Credit for Military Training: RCW 28B.10.057
- Department of Defense MOU – Higher Education
- NWCCU Accreditation Policy: Transfer and Award of Academic Credit [PDF]
- NWCCU Standards 2.A.14, 2.C.7, and 2.C.8
- PLA — Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges [PDF]
Revisions 3/10/2010 (Replaces 3110 Award of Credit for Prior Learning); 9/11/2012; 4/6/2015; 9/16/2015; 6/5/2019
Board of Trustees
Last Updated October 30, 2023