Original Date: 3/19/1991 * Last Revision Effective: 4/7/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Equity and Pluralism
Bellevue College is strongly committed to cultural, ethnic, and racial pluralism, a commitment which means that individuals representing different cultural, ethnic, and racial communities interact in a dynamic and collaborative way while maintaining and valuing their differences. This interaction produces an environment in which different perspectives are equally valued and utilized in the decision-making process. The college community believes that the future of our society depends upon the promotion of such positive interaction.
Therefore, Bellevue College resolves that cultural pluralism is and will continue to be an institutional priority, reflected in the following ways:
- by promoting the recruitment, hiring, and retention of qualified individuals representing a broad spectrum of cultural, ethnic, and racial backgrounds;
- by recruiting and retaining students who represent diverse cultural, ethnic, and racial backgrounds;
- by continuing to provide and develop courses in the college curriculum that include the study of various cultures, and that incorporate pluralistic values and skills;
- by making the necessary resources available to implement this policy;
- by reflecting pluralistic values in campus communications;
- by providing learning opportunities to the college community that promote cultural pluralism and cross-cultural communication;
- by providing opportunities to discuss and resolve issues which may arise from the implementation of this policy.
By maintaining an atmosphere that stresses individual growth and utilizes the strength that cultural pluralism brings to the campus, Bellevue College will continue to provide an enlivening, enriching experience which encourages cross-cultural understanding.
The president is charged with the overall responsibility for assuring that the college implements this policy.
Revisions 5/10/2005; 5/21/2009; 2/19/2013; 4/7/2015
All College Council
Board of Trustees
Last Updated April 7, 2015