Original Date: 9/1/1997 * Last Revision Effective: 11/5/2019
Policy Contact: Vice President, Administrative Services
The following procedures are established to meet the requirements for implementing policy #6720 – Bookstore.
Instructors are required to submit course material orders at least tow months before the beginning of the quarter during which the materials will be used. This ensures that students have course material information at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of classes. In the case of textbooks, instructors must specify which edition will be used in their classes.
Changes to Textbook Orders
- If a division changes a textbook order after the bookstore has submitted Bellevue College’s orders to the publishers, any resulting freight costs, in and out, will be charged to the program.
- Changes will be permitted after orders have been processed only in the case of a change in instructor and only up until one week before the first day of the quarter.
- Errors made by the bookstore will be corrected by the bookstore, at bookstore expense, on a “rush” basis. Errors made by a department outside the bookstore will be charged accordingly.
- Any student returning a textbook which is unsaleable because of a course change will be refunded with the refund charged to the program. The student will be referred to the program chair for approval before receiving the refund.
Outside of the first week of each quarter, special orders are available for faculty, staff, and students. The bookstore can special order textbooks and other materials.
If a textbook is used during one quarter but not reordered for the following quarter, unsold copies are returned to the publisher.
Instructors preparing their own instructional materials to be sold through the bookstore are responsible for unsold merchandise, which will be charged to the department at the end of the quarter. If the same course materials are ordered for the following quarter, the bookstore will keep in stock only the quantity required for that quarter.
Instructors’ Modules: Fair Use and Copyright
Instructors are responsible for determining the copyright status of any materials included in an instructional module compiled for sale in the bookstore. Instructors should obtain written permission from the publisher or copyright holder to reproduce material that does not fall within fair use guidelines according to current copyright law. Written permission from the publisher is also required before making copies of out-of-print material. Instructors who order printed instructional materials should understand the policies and regulations governing use of copyrighted material.
Textbook and Course Materials Refunds
- All returned textbooks and course materials must be accompanied by a sales receipt dated during the current academic term in order for a student to receive a refund.
- Full refunds are issued during the first week of each academic quarter. Students who drop a class have two weeks to request a full refund.
- After this period, refunds can only be approved through an appeals process. Appeal forms are available from the bookstore director. The vice president of administrative services makes the final determination on refund appeals after consultation with the bookstore director.
General Merchandise Refunds
Store merchandise other than books or instructional materials must be returned within thirty (30) days after purchase, unless otherwise specified in the bookstore, and be accompanied by a sales receipt.
- All returned merchandise must be in new condition, clean, unmarked, and undamaged, and in its original packaging. The bookstore management reserves the right to judge the condition of any returned items.
- Merchandise that is defective at the time of purchase will be replaced or refunded. Used textbooks are not gauaranteed for replacement.
- Purchases made by check will be refunded by check, sent through the U.S. mail only, within ten (10) working days. Purchases made by credit card will be refunded by crediting the card account.
- Copies of bookstore refund policies will be posted prominently and distributed to customers.
Bellevue College Bookstore Buyback. The bookstore offers a book buyback period during the first week of each quarter and during the final examination period. Purchase receipts are not required for buyback. The bookstore will buy back a textbook at or below market value under the following conditions:
- the textbook must be ordered by an instructor for use during the following quarter;
- the book must be in good, re-salable condition;
- the bookstore is not already overstocked with that textbook title.
Wholesaler Buyback. Students may sell used textbooks to a wholesale textbook buyback agency during specific days each academic year without a receipt. Wholesalers set their own prices and acceptance criteria, usually based on nationwide demand for the textbook title.
Retail Sales Exemption Request
- The bookstore has the sole authority to sell retail items on campus and to approve exemptions to allow other organizations to sell retail items on a limited basis.
- Organizations wishing to sell retail items can request an exemption by completing a Retail Exemption Request form (available in the Forms Library). the completed form should be submitted to the bookstore director at least 72 hours in advance of the sale.
- The bookstore director will review the request and assess it for an exemption based on:
- the time frame of the event,
- availability of bookstore staff to work at event,
- the number of items desire to be sold.
- The bookstore director will reply within 48 hours with an email response that either approves or disapproves, along with providing supporting rationale.
Textbook Discount for Student Employees
Student employees in the bookstore may buy their textbooks at a discounted rate. The percentage of the discount depends on how long they have worked in the bookstore. After one quarter of work, a student employee receives a 10 percent discount; after one year of work, they receive a 20 percent discount.
All Bellevue College faculty, administrators, and staff are eligible for a 10 percent discount on most items available in the bookstore (exceptions are textbooks, computers, special orders, and sale items). Employees must show a staff identification card to receive the discount.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
Revisions 5/10/2005; 8/15/2006; 5/21/2009; 9/24/2012; 10/19/2015; 11/5/2019
Last Updated December 17, 2019