PREPARING FOR WORK is a class that is offered free to the ESL community living in Bellevue. Students will find a warm welcome from the instructor, who invites students to attend, learn and develop their knowledge of the job search process.
This class would be good for students who are:
- Interested in working in a paid or volunteer job, in the U.S., now or in the near future.
- ESL level 5/6 (high intermediate to advanced level).
- Ready to attend all classes and complete all assignments.
IN THIS CLASS, STUDENTS WILL LEARN TO:
- Write a one or two page resume for a job they would like to apply for now or in the near future.
- Write a cover letter using correct layout, spelling, punctuation and phrases for the job application.
- Record experience, education, skills and strengths.
- Set goals and create a plan of action.
- Read job applications identifying job requirements and qualifications.
- Research websites to help with job searching, vocabulary, job search techniques and other resources.
- Find a job in the U.S., including networking, applying online, talking to recruiters, volunteering, targeting employers and attending job fairs.
SPEAK / LISTEN
- Make a good impression at every stage of the job search process including applying, interviewing and following up.
- Answer interview questions for an entry level job.
- Identify and demonstrate strengths needed for the job.
- Conduct an interview in a professional manner including appearance, body language and formal language. Each student will have a mock interview with a volunteer interviewer from the business community.
Last Updated May 23, 2018