Dependent Students

Financially dependent – Non-resident students may qualify to pay resident tuition before living in Washington State for 12-months under the following circumstances:

  • Unmarried
  • Under the age of 25
  • Financially dependent on a resident parent or court appointed legal guardian who can prove that Washington State is their permanent residence for at least 12-months before you apply.
  • Claimed on most recent federal tax return as a dependent by a parent or court appointed legal guardian.

Note: For divorced or separated parents; either parent may claim you, as long as one parent can prove Washington State residency for at least 12-months before you apply.

Non-citizen students: You must settle, or confirm your legal residency in the United States before you establish Washington State residency. Please provide a copy of one of the following documents:

  • Resident Alien Card – front and back
  • I-94 Departure Record stamped with either “temporary I-551, refugee, or asylum status
  • A, E, G, H, L, or K Visa
  • Your parent or legal guardian must provide a copy of their immigrant documents, or proof of U.S. citizenship

Residency Application Process for Dependent Students

Both you and your parent or legal guardian must complete the Residence Questionnaire, and submit the documents listed on the Washington State Residence Requirements form.

Application Deadline – 30th calendar day of the quarter: Submit the Residence Questionnaire and all needed documents by the 30th calendar day of the quarter you plan to obtain resident status. By regulation, we process applications and documents received after this date for the next quarter. No Exceptions

Payment of Tuition and Fees:

  • You must pay your tuition and fees when they become due.
  • If you submit your application and documents before your tuition becomes due, you may qualify for a deferment, which holds you in your classes without payment until we process your application. You must ask the Residency Office for a deferment if you need one.
  • If you pay your tuition as a non-resident and later qualify for residency status, you receive a refund of the difference between non-resident and resident tuition.


For more information, please contact the Residency Office.


Last Updated January 25, 2018