Financially Dependent

You are a dependent student if you are under the age of 25, unmarried, and one or both of your parents or court-appointed legal guardians have physically resided in Washington State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of your application to Bellevue College.

Financially Independent

An independent student is one who is no longer financially dependent upon parents. Residency is determined by several factors, such as Physical Presence, Intent to establish a domicile, and Financial independence.

Eligible Non-Citizen

Permanent Residents, refugees or asylees, and those with qualifying visas issued 12 months prior to the first day of the quarter and who have taken steps to establish Washington as their permanent residence, may be eligible to pay resident tuition.

Eligible Undocumented

Effective July 1, 2003, Washington state law changed the definition of resident student. The law makes certain students eligible for resident tuition rates when they attend public colleges and universities in this Washington. Effective June 12, 2014 these student may also be considered for State Need Grant.

Active Duty Military Members

You may be eligible to pay resident tuition as an active duty member of the military or Washington National guard or as the spouse or dependent of an active duty member. You may also be able to apply for residency as an active duty member who is from Washington, stationed in another state or overseas.


Effective June 12, 2014, Senate Bill 5318 removes the one-year waiting period for veterans, his or her spouse and dependents who wish to pay resident tuition in Washington State.