Financially Dependent

You are a dependent student if you are under the age of 25, unmarried, and one or both of your parents or court-appointed guardians have physically resided in Washington State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of your application to Bellevue College. As a dependent, you must be identified on your parents or guardians most recent federal income tax returns.

Note: If parents are separated, students can be claimed as a dependent by either parent, as long one parent has established domicile in Washington for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of application.

What do you need to provide?

You must complete page one of the Residence Questionnaire   A parent or legal guardian must complete page two, section 3. In addition to the completed questionnaire, your parents or legal guardian must  provide the following documentation demonstrating ties with Washington for a minimum of one year:

Residency documents may be mailed to the Residency Office in B125N.  Completed questionnaires and all supporting documentation must be received by the 30th calendar day of the quarter for which application is made. Documentation received after the 30th calendar day will be considered for the following quarter. You will be contacted by the residency office once your documents have been reviewed and a decision has been made.

Frequently Asked Questions

My Status is “undetermined” and I’m being charged non-resident tuition. Why?

Students whose status is “undetermined” may have missed providing information or documentation required to determine a resident classification for tuition purposes. Students whose status is undetermined will pay tuition at the non-resident rate until missing information is provided.

Note: Former Running Start students are classified as “undetermined” until they have completed a new admission application.
Contact the Admission Office at (425) 564-2222.

My parents moved away from Washington while I remained in Washington to complete high school. Do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

You may be eligible to pay in-state tuition if you continued high school in Washington, remained after graduation and entered a Washington college or university within 6 months of graduation. You will be required to complete a Residence Questionnaire and supporting documents which verify that your parents established residency for at least 12 months prior to leaving the state.

I am graduating from an out-of-state high school; however, one of my parents is a Washington state resident.  Can I gain residency?

If you are living and attending an out-of-state high school or other college/university and you are claimed as a dependent on your parents/legal guardians taxes, it may be possible to gain residency through a parent or legal guardian that has been and still resides in the state of Washington. The parent/legal guardian must have been living in the state of Washington 12 months prior to the term you are seeking residency and must hold all state of Washington residency documents. You would fill out page one of the questionnaire and your parent/legal guardian who is domiciled in the state of Washington would fill out page two of the questionnaire and submit copies of the required documentation.

Is legal guardianship the same as power of attorney?

No. Guardianship is awarded through an official court proceeding. To become a guardian either the party intending to be the guardian or a local official responsible for the child’s welfare will petition the court to appoint the guardian.  Guardianship is awarded to minors (under the age of 18) and remains under court supervision until the child reaches 18.

How do I qualify for the Non-resident tuition waiver?

The non-resident tuition waiver is applied by the Residency Office. To qualify for the waiver, a dependent student must meet the following conditions:

  • Parents must be a U.S. citizen or have a permanent resident card (green card)
  • Paid non-resident tuition for one quarter
  • Provide documentation that verifies parent(s) have taken all necessary steps to establish Washington domicile (residency).

Contact the Residency Office for more information:


Last Updated September 18, 2017