Frequently Asked Questions


My Status is “undetermined” and I’m being charged non-resident tuition. Why?

If your status is “undetermined” you may have missed providing information or documentation required to determine your resident classification for tuition purposes. Students whose status is undetermined will pay tuition at the non-resident rate until missing information is provided. Note: Former Running Start students are classified as “undetermined” until they have completed a new admission application. Contact the Admission Office at (425) 564-2222

What happens if you do not review my application before the tuition due date?

You will be responsible for paying your tuition by the due date. You will be reimbursed the difference of the non-resident and resident tuition if you are approved after the tuition due date.

Do I have to work in order to obtain residency?

If you attend school during your first year in Washington and take more than 6 credits per quarter, yes: you will have to verify that you work. In this case, you must work for approximately 30 hours a week for the entire time you are attending school for more than 6 credits or document that you are able to meet 51% of your yearly expenses through employment at a non-student job for the current and previous calendar year.

Can I use trust funds to supplement my financial independence?

Yes, you may use trust funds to supplement you financial independence; however, the trust funds are only valid if it was established before you entered the 10th grade. You will be asked to provide documentation of when the trust was established.

What if a student only left the state of Washington for school?

If you left the state of Washington for the purposes of attending school, you may still be considered a resident for tuition purposes if you:

  • Complete a Residence Questionnaire
  • Provide proof that you were consistently enrolled in school for the entire time that you were absent from Washington,
  • Provide proof that you were paying out-of-state tuition, and
  • Verify that you did not sever any of your legal ties (obtain another license, vehicle registration, etc.).

I am graduating from an out-of-state high school; however, one of my parents is a Washington state resident.  Can I gain residency?

If you are living and attending an out-of-state high school or other college/university and you are claimed as a dependent on your parents/legal guardians taxes, it may be possible to gain residency through a parent or legal guardian that has been and still resides in the state of Washington. The parent/legal guardian must have been living in the state of Washington 12 months prior to the term you are seeking residency and must hold all state of Washington residency documents. You would fill out page one of the questionnaire and your parent/legal guardian who is domiciled in the state of Washington would fill out page two of the questionnaire and submit copies of the required documentation.

Is legal guardianship the same as power of attorney?

No. Guardianship is awarded through an official court proceeding. To become a guardian either the party intending to be the guardian or a local official responsible for the child’s welfare will petition the court to appoint the guardian.  Guardianship is awarded to minors (under the age of 18) and remains under court supervision until the child reaches 18.

I have a newly issued permanent resident card. Can I qualify for Washington state residency?

Yes, if your application for adjustment to Permanent Resident status was filed at least 12 months prior to the beginning of the quarter for which you are requesting to be classified a Washington resident, and you have established legal ties to Washington (with the exception of registering to vote).

Does BC participate in any “reciprocity agreements” for tuition purposes?

Individual community colleges and four-year universities within the Idaho and Oregon border regions may, at their discretion, offer residency rates to border state students. BC does not participate in any reciprocity agreements. For information on these programs, students should consult the following website: Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE)

I just moved to Washington to get married. My spouse has lived in Washington for over a year. Am I a considered a resident?

No. As an independent student, you must physically reside in Washington for at least twelve months and provide proof that you have established legal ties to Washington before residency is granted. Legal ties include, obtaining a Washington state drivers license, registering a vehicle, or registering to vote in Washington.

How do I qualify for the Non-resident tuition waiver?

To qualify for the non-resident tuition waiver, a student must complete the Residence Questionnaire and provide supporting documents to the Residency Office and meet the following conditions:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or have a permanent resident card (green card)
  • Paid non-resident tuition for one quarter

The non-resident tuition waiver is applied by the Residency Office after the student, or the student’s parents, have met all of the above conditions.

For more information, please contact the Residency Office at (425) 564-4143

My parents moved away from Washington while I remained in Washington to complete high school. Do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

You may be eligible to pay in-state tuition if you continued high school in Washington, remained after graduation and entered a Washington college or university within 6 months of graduation. You will be required to complete a Residence Questionnaire and supporting documents which verify that your parents established residency for at least 12 months prior to leaving the state.

I am an American Indian moving to Washington from Idaho. When will I pay in-state tuition?

American Indian students who meet the following two conditions are eligible to pay resident tuition at colleges and universities in Washington State:

  1. For a period of one year immediately prior to enrollment, the students must have been domiciled in one or a combination of the following states: Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington.
  2. Students must be a member of one of the federally recognized Indian tribes, as determined under Title 25 of the Code of Federal Regulations (25CFR),  whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries included portions of the state of Washington, or whose tribe was granted reserved lands within the state of Washington.

Last Updated September 19, 2017