How to File an Appeal

Appeal: a formal request for someone in authority to review a case and change a decision

An accused student may appeal a disciplinary action by filing a written notice of appeal.  A notice of appeal is a written statement submitted to a conduct review officer.  The conduct review officer is the Provost for Academic and Student Affairs or designee.

Students can submit an appeal online using the Student Conduct Code Disciplinary Appeal form.

You can also appeal by submitting an appeal in person to U307 or by email to  Emails should come from your official BC email account.  A notice of appeal must include a statement explaining why you are appealing.

A written appeal must be submitted within 21 days of the written decision from the student conduct officer. A student who appeals a disciplinary action in a timely manner has a right to a prompt, fair and impartial hearing (WAC 132H-126). If an appeal is not filed within 21 days, you waive the right to appeal.  That means the student conduct officer’s decision becomes final. If the disciplinary action included alleged sexual misconduct by a student, the complainant (reporting party) may also file an appeal.  This appeal must also be filed within 21 days.

Once a notice of appeal is filed, you will be contacted.  An appeal can be heard in one of two ways: a brief adjudicative proceeding or a hearing with the Student Conduct Committee. The sanction issued by the student conduct officer determines who hears your appeal and conducts your hearing.

  • A brief adjudicative proceeding is used for appeals if the sanction was a suspension of ten instructional days or less, disciplinary probation, written reprimand and/or any conditions or terms imposed in conjunction with one of those disciplinary actions.
  • The Student Conduct Committee hears appeals if the sanction was a suspension over ten instructional days or dismissal from the college.  Discipline cases may also be referred to the Committee by the student conduct officer, the conduct review officer or the college president.

For more information, refer to the Student Conduct Code (WAC 132H-126-130) and review how to prepare for a hearing.

Last Updated November 4, 2021