If you have taken the COMPASS English assessment test and you are not satisfied with your English placement, you may take the English Challenge Test to possibly receive a higher placement. The test requires you to read a short article and write an essay in response to a prompt about the article.
Contents of this page:
- You must have taken the COMPASS English test and have received a placement of at least English 070 to be eligible to take the Challenge Test.
- If you have completed a three-credit English 101 from a college or university that is on a quarter system, you may take this test for placement into English 201, 235, or 271 however, you must have your English course evaluated via the Online Prerequisite Check process before signing up for the test.
- The test fee is $28.50
- After you have submitted the registration, Testing Services will confirm your eligibility and email you a link regarding payment. Pay the fee promptly to secure your seat.
- The test fee is non-refundable.
Register for the Test:
- email: email@example.com
- provide your Name, BC SID, and which level you are trying to testing into (i.e. ENGL 101)
Accommodated testing for individuals who have disabilities is available upon request/approval. To request for accommodations, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
On the test day, you must arrive 10 minutes prior to the start time. No late arrivals!
I. What To Bring On Test Day
- Bring a valid photo identification (you will not be able to test without a picture ID).
- Bring your BC Student ID number.
II. Important Regulations
- Paper Dictionary use is allowed, but cell phones or any device with camera features are prohibited.
- Tests are computerized and the total time allowed is 120 minutes. Scratch paper and pencils will be provided by Testing Services.
- Recording the exam or reproducing it is strictly prohibited.
- No bags or back packs are allowed in the testing room. Lockers are available if you need to store your personal items.
- No drinks or food are allowed in the testing room with the exception of bottled water.
- No breaks are allowed during the test.
- Cell phones and all other electronic devices are prohibited in the test room.
- See additional guidelines and regulations on the English Department website.
Inclement Weather and Emergencies
Check the college homepage for campus closure due to inclement weather or emergencies. If the college campus is closed, the test will not be available. Your test will either be rescheduled or your fee will be refunded. We will contact you via e-mail with more information if the test was not available. If conditions are dangerous, do not attempt to travel to the test center.
Bellevue College Testing Services
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue, WA 98007
Phone: (425) 564-2243
Last Updated April 11, 2016