Anyone can help.
There are several ways a friend can help a survivor:
- Offer comfort by serving as a great listener during this time of healing.
- Be supportive by attending the clinic, hospital, administrator’s office or counseling center with your friend.
- Remind the person that they are not at fault and that it is natural to feel angry and/or ashamed.
- Encourage your friend to take care of themselves as best as possible by maintaining a regular and routine eating, sleeping and exercise schedule.
- Keep an eye out for common problems associated with traumatic events (i.e. suicidal thoughts, hopelessness, etc.)
- Support an organization by volunteering in your local community through advocacy.
Tony Porter: A call to men
Last Updated August 20, 2015