Transfer Credits to Bellevue College

Please Note: We are currently experiencing issues with PNW College Credit and AP Scores showing correctly on Academic Advisement Reports. If you have questions or concerns please connect with us here: 

Ask for a Phone Callback  Ask Online for Help or Information

View the Student Central Processing Dashboard for a current update on the processing of transfer credit reviews.

How to Transfer Credits to Bellevue College

1. Apply for general admission to Bellevue College.

2. New students: register for classes.

3. Send your official transcripts and documents to Bellevue College.

  • Submit only the transcripts/documents you want us to review.
    • Please note that we do not return transcripts back to students. Once submitted, the transcript becomes the property of the college.
    • Transcripts from other schools are not considered part of a student’s permanent college record and are routinely destroyed after the review.
    • For additional information please refer to college policy 6880 Student Records.
  • There are additional requirements for International Transcripts.
  • (Optional) Submit course descriptions if you attended college before 1994 or in a different country.

4. Check if we received your transcripts.

  • After we receive your transcript, it will take several days to scan and upload to our system.
  • Log in to ctcLink. Click “Full Site” at the bottom of the blue Navigation pane. Then click “Academic Progress,” and “View my Advising Notes.” A note will appear when we receive your transcript.
  • Transcripts submitted before Nov 4, 2021 may not appear in your ctcLink account, but they are still scanned and uploaded.

5. Submit the appropriate request form:

There are different forms for different types of credit.

6. We send the results to your BC Student email account. (not your Canvas inbox)

More Information

  • If you do not want a degree or certificate from Bellevue College, you do not need to transfer your credits.
  • We only accept transfer credits from colleges with regional accreditation (or the equivalent of regional accreditation in a different country). Please see Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Paper transcripts and documents should be mailed to:

Bellevue College
ATTN: Student Central/Enrollment Services U112
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue, WA 98007-6484

Electronic transcripts must be sent directly by the institution. We cannot accept copies that are forwarded from your personal email account. If the electronic transcript was downloaded and viewed by anyone else, we cannot use it for transfer credit. Electronic transcripts and documents should be emailed to:

Transfer Credit Requests are reviewed in the order they are received. It may take longer during peak graduation times. View the Student Central Processing Dashboard to see our current wait times.

Do you need to register for a class with a prerequisite?

You do not have to wait for your credits to transfer. Instead, you can clear prerequisites online. This is a faster process that only takes a few days. It does not transfer courses, but will allow you to register for higher-level classes.

Do you need to apply for graduation?

Please do not wait until your credits are transferred. You can apply to graduate even if your credits are not transferred yet. Be sure to review the graduation application deadlines and apply on time.

If you attended college before 1994 or in a different country, please submit course descriptions. To transfer credit, we need to review course descriptions that explain the content of your courses. Usually you can contact the Registrar’s Office at your previous college and they can provide this documentation. The course descriptions must be from the year you took the classes. If you cannot get course descriptions, we review your transcript by looking at the course titles only. However, this may mean that some courses may not transfer.

How to send course descriptions:

Please submit your course descriptions online. You can provide a web link to the catalog at your previous college for the year you took the courses. You can also upload catalog documents directly if a link is not available.

Paper transcripts must be in an unopened envelope that was sealed by the school. If the envelope was opened, the transcript it not official.

Electronic transcripts must be sent directly by the school. We cannot accept copies that are forwarded from your personal email account. If the electronic transcript was downloaded and viewed by anyone else, it is not official and cannot be used for transfer credit.

If you attended multiple colleges, please submit each transcript separately. To transfer credits we need to see the original transcript from the school where you took the classes. For example, if you took classes at Cascadia College and then transferred to the University of Washington, you need to send both transcripts separately.

In general, we only transfer the courses you need for your degree. You can meet with an academic advisor while you wait for your credits to transfer. Advisors can give an unofficial review to help you plan your classes. The Evaluations office will make the final decision.

For AP, IB, and Cambridge A Level exams, you can view exam credit equivalencies here.

If you attended another two-year school in Washington state:

The state of Washington has a common course numbering system for two-year schools. This means some schools offer identical courses that have the same number. If two schools offer the same common course, they are considered identical and direct equivalents. Common courses have the ampersand symbol (&). For Example, ENGL& 101 is a common course. If you took ENGL& 101 at a different school, it will transfer to Bellevue College as ENGL& 101. If there is no ampersand (&) symbol, it is not a common course and is not guaranteed to be the same. For example, “ENGL 101” is not a common course because it does not have the ampersand (&) symbol.

Please select the degree you are working on now. If you plan to complete multiple degrees, please select the first degree you will complete. You can submit an additional request for your next degree later. If you are working on multiple degrees at the same time, you can submit multiple requests.

Do you have more questions?

You can ask a question online. A Student Central staff member will follow up with you. You can also visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.