- What is a Prerequisite?
- General Academic Subjects
- Professional/Technical Subjects
- Types of Prerequisites
- Online Prerequisite Check
- How can I submit the required documentation?
- How will I know if my prerequisite is approved?
- How long will it take to process the request?
- Nursing Program Prerequisites
- Requirements for Transcripts
- Other Required Information
- Contact Information
What is a Prerequisite?
Prerequisite is a course that must be completed (often with a certain minimum grade) or a skill that must be demonstrated before you can enroll in a more advanced course.
If you have taken / are taking the prerequisite class at Bellevue College, it will automatically be cleared when you register.
If you completed the prerequisite at another institution or took an AP/IB test, you need to provide documentation to verify that you have satisfied the prerequisite prior to your registration time.
* In-progress coursework from another institution is not considered until the final grade is posted.
** If the prerequisite is approved, it is for the purpose of clearing a prerequisite only, and it is not an approval of credit. Please see General Transfer of Credits for information on how to request an official transfer credit evaluation.
*** All requests must be submitted online at ONLINE PREREQUISITE CHECK – see below electronic form.
The transfer course must be taken at a regionally accredited institution, be an equivalent to the required BC course and meet the minimum grade requirement. Visit the Transfer Course Equivalencies website to see how your courses are transferred to Bellevue College.
General Academic Subjects
If the prerequisite is in a general education academic subject area, such as English, Mathematics, Accounting (transfer), Biology, Chemistry, etc. (see the list of the courses on the request form), you must submit a request at the Online Prerequisite Check website with your transcript or test report to clear your prerequisite requirement. See the list for Enforced Academic Prerequisites – in PDF format. If approved, your prerequisite will be cleared and the prerequisite block will be removed. If denied, you will be notified by e-mail.
If prerequisite is in a professional/technical subject area, such as Information Technology, Video Production, Interior Design, or Health Professions, you can contact the program chair or program manager to review your previous coursework. If approved, you will be given an entry code which can be used to clear the prerequisite block when you register.
For the complete listing of courses – general academic subjects and professional technical courses, please refer to the information in the following PDF version of the table. (Requires Adobe Reader for viewing. Download Adobe Reader for free).
Types of Prerequisites
There are three types of prerequisites:
- Recommended prerequisite – it will not block you from registration; you can register without verifying the completion of prerequisite.
- Enforced prerequisite – it will block you from registration unless you have verified the completion of prerequisites or have an authorized entry code.
- Permission of instructor – it will block you from registration unless you receive permission from the instructor to register for the class.
Online Prerequisite Check
The online prerequisite check process is for students who need to clear prerequisite coursework that was completed at another educational institution or by AP/IB tests for the general education academic subject areas, such as English, Mathematics, Accounting (transfer), Biology, Chemistry, etc.
- Your will receive an auto-confirmation to your BC email if your request went through properly.
- All replies will default to your BC Add
- It is recommended to use the Chrome or Internet Explorer browsers to ensure your request will go through properly.
- Please note that all requests must be submitted online.
Select the link for online prerequisite check to begin the process.
How can I submit the required documentation?
Required documentation of academic records:
- An official or unofficial transcript issued by the school where you completed the course;
- Your name must be clearly indicated on your document
- An unofficial copy of your AP/IB test report
You will be given the following options to submit your documentation:
- Upload document in PDF format to the online request form.
- Fax to the Testing Services at (425) 564-2132
How will I know if my prerequisite is approved?
You will receive an e-mail confirmation after your request has been processed. The email defaults to your Bellevue College email. Please check your email frequently. If approved, your prerequisite will be cleared and the prerequisite block will be removed. If denied, you will be notified by e-mail.
How long will it take to process the request?
Requests are processed in the order they are received. Please allow a response time up to 3-7 business days, depending on the time of year and the demand. If your request came through properly you will receive an auto-confirmation to your BC email. It is recommended to use the Chrome or Internet Explorer browsers to ensure your request will go through properly.
Nursing Program Prerequisites
To check if your coursework from another institution meets the admission prerequisites and the required general education courses for the Nursing Program, contact the Nursing Department in Room R130.
If you took courses at one of the Washington State colleges or universities, you can view the following course guides (in PDF format) to see if they are acceptable for the Nursing program:
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2011-2012
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2012-2013
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2013-2014
Requirements for Transcripts
For checking prerequisites, an unofficial copy of your transcript or report card is acceptable. It must be issued by the school where you completed the course, and must include the following information:
- Your name (If it does not match with the name you use at BC, you need to provide proof of name change)
- The name of the school
- Course title, grade, number of credits, and the time the course was taken
Other Required Information
Course descriptions are needed for courses that were completed prior to 1994.
If you have questions about prerequisite checking, please email email@example.com. or call (425) 564-2243.
Last Updated October 4, 2017