Frequently Asked Questions

What training opportunities are available?

Training options through WorkFirst include:

Who is eligible?

Parents receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) who have been referred to the college by their DSHS case manager.

How do parents sign up?

If you are receiving cash assistance (TANF) from DSHS, ask your DSHS caseworker or social worker to send a referral to Bellevue College.  You can also get started by attending a Workforce Education information session.

What testing is required before I can enter WorkFirst programs?

ESL / ABE / GED students may need to take a CASAS assessment.

Students pursuing a professional-technical degree or certificate may need to take math and English placement tests.

What services are available after I complete WorkFirst training?

All of our training and educational opportunities are designed to assist parents in gaining skills that will enable them to support their families. After training, we may assist with job search. We help students plan for future classes and programs that could help them with wage progression.

Is WorkFirst at Bellevue College part of the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) and/or the Employment Security Department?

No, but we partner with those agencies in order to provide training opportunities for parents on TANF.

Last Updated March 16, 2021