Original Date: 7/6/2010 * Last Revision Effective: 3/24/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Affairs
The college requires that all credit students have an official Bellevue College (BC) student e-mail account for the purpose of receiving official college communications which may include but is not limited to: campus security alerts, campus closures, information technology (IT) security alerts, financial aid notifications, enrollment and registration transactions or instructor messages.
After acceptance or re-application to the college, students will automatically be required to create their official BC Student e-mail account when they create a BC NetID via the college website. The college may block a student from registration access in future quarters if an official student e-mail account is not created. Bellevue College employees who register for college credit classes are also required to create a BC student e-mail account.
The college will send all official administrative and instructional communications to credit students’ BC student e-mail account.
Official Bellevue College (BC) Student E-mail Account
- An e-mail account the college provides to all credit students after acceptance to the college.
Official College E-Mail Communication
- Any e-mail message of communication sent from college administration and/or instructional departments to all credit students who are currently attending or have attended in past quarters.
- Students who are currently enrolled or have been enrolled in past quarters, in any course that awards college credit.
- A BC NetID is a network account that is used to log in to multiple technological services and resources at Bellevue College including (but not limited to) the official BC student e-mail account, MyBC, the college web portal, MyBC class sites, computers in classrooms and labs, and the college wireless network.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA): 20 USC 1232g
- College Policy # 5250: Information Technology Security
- College Policy # 5150: Acceptable Use of Bellevue College Networks and Systems
- College Procedures # 5150P: Acceptable Use of Bellevue College Networks and Systems (Procedures)
- College IT Security Standard: Data and Information Security
- College Policy #2050 Student Code
- College Policy #4250 Standards of Ethical Conduct
Revisions 9/11/2012; 3/24/2015
Last Updated March 24, 2015