Original Date: 9/1/1995 * Last Revision Effective: 4/6/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Affairs
Bellevue College is committed to providing each qualified student with a disability equal opportunity in accessing the benefits, rights, and privileges of college services, programs, and activities. These will be provided in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act of 2008, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Washington Law Against Discrimination, RCW 49.60, and RCW 28B.10.910, .912, and .914.
- Section 202 of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act states:
No qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of any public entity, or be subject to discrimination by any such entity.
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act states:
No otherwise qualified, handicapped individual in the United States shall solely, by reasons of his/her handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
No student shall, on the basis of his or her disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits or, or otherwise be subject to discrimination under any college program or activity.
Bellevue College is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, including core services, to qualified students with disabilities. To receive appropriate and timely reasonable accommodations, students are responsible for requesting accommodation and documenting the nature and extent of their disability in accordance with college procedures.
- are those services listed in RCW 28B.10.912 that are necessary to ensure students with disabilities are reasonably accommodated at the college.
Accommodations in college programs and services
- are adjustments of those programs, policies, practices, and procedures that enable qualified students with a disability to have an equal opportunity to have access to and benefit from college programs and services. Accommodations mean academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services.
- is a person enrolled at the college.
A student with a disability
- is a student who: (a) has a physical, mental or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more of his or her major life activities; (b) has a record of such an impairment; or (c) is perceived to have such an impairment; or a student who has an abnormal condition that is medically cognizable or diagnosable.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act of 2008
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973, § 504, as amended
- 28 C.F.R. § 35.130
- 28 C.F.R. § 35.160
- 28 C.F.R. § 35.164
- 34 C.F.R. § 104.44
- The Washington Law Against Discrimination, RCW 49.60.215 and WAC 162-28-030
- RCW 28B.10.910, .912, .914
- Bellevue College Procedure #2500P Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
Revisions 10/28/2003; 3/22/2005; 5/21/2009; 4/6/2015
Last Updated April 6, 2015