3110 Award of Non-Traditional Credit
Original Date: 4/14/2009 * Last Revision Effective: 9/16/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Instruction
The college awards credit for non-traditional learning for work completed in private study, at non-accredited institutions, military training, other industry related certificates and trainings, and for certain examinations. The following applies:
- Transferability of awarded credits are subject to the policies of the receiving institution and the college makes no claim regarding the application or transfer of awarded credits to the programs at other institutions.
- Awarded credits are subject to review and recommendation by faculty.
- The college will establish procedures and guidelines for students to request the awarding of non-traditional credit.
In accordance with the standards set by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the college recognizes four categories of Credit for Non-Traditional Learning:
- Credit by Testing
- Prior Experiential Learning
- Extra-Institutional Learning
- Course Challenges (formerly Credit by Examination)
- The Evaluations Office unit administrator, in consultation with instructional departments and programs, has responsibility for enforcing procedures that accompany the policy.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Academic Credit for Military Training: RCW 28B.10.057
- Department of Defense MOU – Higher Education
- NWCCU Accreditation Policy: Transfer and Award of Academic Credit
- NWCCU Standards 2.A.14, 2.C.7, and 2.C.8
- PLA – Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
Revisions 3/10/2010 (Replaces 3110 Award of Credit for Prior Learning); 9/11/2012; 4/6/2015; 9/16/2015
Board of Trustees