4700P Classified Employee Development and Training (Procedures)
Original Date: 4/1/1990 * Last Revision Effective: 9/11/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Human Resources
The following procedures are established to meet the requirements for implementing policy #4700 – Employee Development and Training.
- Classified employees are required to participate in any training that is identified as mandatory by her/his supervisor or human resources. Employees will be released from normal duties to attend mandatory training sessions conducted during scheduled working hours. Mandatory training scheduled outside of scheduled working hours is considered time worked, and will be compensated as required.
- Full-time classified employees may schedule up to forty (40) hours of paid time per fiscal year to engage in voluntary college-sponsored training and campus engagement/community building activities, subject to prior supervisory approval. For classified employees working less than forty (40) hours a week, twelve (12) months a year, the hours available will be prorated based on FTE.
- Voluntary campus engagement/community building activities include serving as a club advisor unless it is part of the employee’s assigned job duties, but exclude college governance activities, including membership on college committees and classified staff professional development day.
- Employees may request funding for individual employee development through the classified staff scholarship committee. Funding awards are determined by the scholarship committee.
- Supervisors are responsible for supporting employee development and enrichment and community building. Supervisors are responsible for designating mandatory training for employees in writing and are required to release employees to participate in mandatory training. Supervisors may identify required training in the performance development process and will document employee participation in development and enrichment opportunities and community building in the annual evaluation process.
- Supervisor will notify the employee that a request has been approved or denied within two (2) working days after the request has been submitted. Justification for denial shall be provided. When disagreements arise between employee and his/her supervisor regarding release time, the issue may be taken to the vice president of human resources for assistance in seeking resolution.
- Employees are responsible for securing prior approval for schedule modifications and release time to be used for voluntary training, development and community building at least five (5) working days in advance of the scheduled activities.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Classified Staff Development Committee
- Classified Staff Scholarship Committee
Revisions 1/1/2003; 5/10/2005; 3/18/2008; 5/21/2009; 6/1/2010; 9/11/2012