4760P Exempt Employee Performance Evaluation (Procedures)
Original Date: 8/31/2010 * Last Revision Effective: 9/11/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Human Resources
Bellevue College’s performance evaluation of exempt employees offers a consistent approach and operating philosophy for providing feedback and assessment of employee performance through annual evaluation.
- All administrative/exempt employees are to be evaluated by their supervisor according to the following schedule:
- At six months after hire.
- Annually, but no later than August 30.
- At any time deemed necessary to address and correct performance problems.
- The evaluation will alternate between informal and comprehensive 360-degree feedback evaluation on a three year cycle with the comprehensive 360-degree feedback evaluation being conducted every three years.
- The exempt staff performance review form will be used for years when the comprehensive 360-degree feedback evaluation is not being conducted.
- The performance evaluation should be based on observed or verified performance.
- The performance evaluation will be reviewed with the employee. The goal of this discussion is to have an open and constructive conversation that leads to an understanding of how well the employee did in meeting expectations during the course of the performance period.
- Deans and other academic administrators will be evaluated annually by faculty and, where appropriate, other personnel. New academic administrators will be evaluated following the first year of service.
- For division deans, full-time members of the faculty who serve in a dean’s division, including other academic administrators supervised by the dean, will be invited to participate in the 360-degree evaluation of the dean.
- In addition to the performance review form, all administrative/exempt employees will be evaluated using a 360-degree evaluation tool.
- The 360-degree evaluation will be conducted no later than August 30 during the first two years in a new position and every third year thereafter.
- The performance and development forms will be used during the 360-degree evaluation cycle.
- The 360-degree evaluation will solicit input from the employee’s direct reports and selected peers and colleagues that are appropriate for each position.
- Human resources will administer the surveys at the request of the administrator/supervisor.