6725 Course Materials Cost Savings Policy
Original Date: 10/29/2008 * Last Revision Effective: 9/24/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Administrative Services
The purpose of this policy is to comply with RCW 28B.10.590 which requires the board of trustees of the college to adopt rules for affiliated bookstore regarding course materials.
The Bellevue College bookstore will:
- provide students the option of purchasing materials that are unbundled, when available by the publishers.
- disclose to faculty and staff the retail costs to students of course materials on a per course basis and make this information publicly available.
- promote and publicize buy-back programs.
- disclose publicly how new editions vary from previous editions.
- disclose the original materials and editions assigned to “Custom” publications.
The board of trustees and the Bellevue College bookstore will encourage faculty and staff to consider the least costly practices in assigning course materials such as:
- adopting the least expensive edition available when educational content is comparable as determined by the faculty, and
- working closely with publishers and the BC bookstore to create bundled materials if they add to the educational experience or if such packaging delivers cost savings to students.
- The BC bookstore complies with RCW 29B.10.590 and any concerns should be directed to the director of the BC bookstore who may refer them to the textbook advisory committee.
- Any supplies or texts required or recommended by faculty or staff for a given course.
- A group of objects joined together by packaging or required to be purchased as an indivisible unit.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
Board of Trustees