Original Date: 8/18/2020 * Last Revision Effective: 12/8/2020
Policy Contact: Associate Vice President, Student Affairs
To promote student success in completing academic and career goals, Bellevue College places limits on the number of credits students may register for each quarter. Students may register for up to 21 credits per quarter without restriction and may request to register for one additional class, not to exceed six credits, using the procedures below. The college does not provide an appeal process to register for more than one class beyond 21 credits or to register for a class that exceeds six credits when over the 21-credit limits. This means students may not register for more than 27 credits per quarter, with no exceptions.
Students who wish to register for more than 21 credits must complete the online Credit Limitation Exception form prior to the start of each quarter in which they wish to take additional credits. If student central staff approves the request, students may add one additional class for up to six credits. The following criteria is used:
- Students who have earned fewer than 30 college level credits at Bellevue College, or officially transferred fewer than 30 college level credits from another school, or a combination of both, may not register for more than 21 credits.
- Students who have earned college level 30 credits or more at Bellevue College, or officially transferred more than 30 college level credits from another school, or a combination of both, and have at least a 3.0 college level grade point average (GPA) can register for more than 21 credits.
Under some circumstances, students are not required to follow these procedures. These circumstances include:
- Students participating in specific academic or special programs that require additional credits.
- Students on academic standing credit restriction are subject to policy 3200 and its associated procedures and are ineligible for a credit limitation exception.
- Students taking non-credit classes (ABE, ESL, GED) or classes taught through continuing education have no credit limitation
- Students subject to other college policies or procedures may have a different credit limitation imposed.
Running Start Students
Running Start students are held to the same credit limitation standards as all other BC students. Any Running Start student who wishes to register for more than 21 credits may do so if they meet the criteria listed above. However, Running Start students only receive a tuition waiver for the number of credits authorized by their home high school. Students are responsible for tuition and fees for credits that exceed their high school authorization.
Enrollment Services is responsible for implementing these procedures.
Original 8/18/2020 (temporary); 12/8/2020
Last Updated December 8, 2020