Original Date: 9/12/1995 * Last Revision Effective: 4/24/2019
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Affairs
In accordance with state law and regulations, Bellevue College offers tuition and fee waivers for specific categories of students. The State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) regulates the use of waivers, and determines which waivers colleges must offer to students, and which waivers are optional. The Bellevue College Board of Trustees approves the establishment of optional waivers, as well as the amount of the waiver and any adjustments deemed appropriate. Students may appeal a determination of tuition and fee waiver eligibility through a brief adjudicative process as described in 2400P Tuition and Fee Waivers (Procedures).
The board of trustees has approved the following list of optional SBCTC tuition and fee waivers and Bellevue College-specific fee waivers.
- Eligible Veterans or National Guard Members. Waives 25 percent of tuition.
- Other Military or Naval Veterans. Waives 25 percent of tuition for eligible veterans.
- Building/S&A Fee Waiver for Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program. Waives building and services and activities fees not covered by the program.
- Higher Education Employees Waiver. Waives nonresident differential.
- International Student Exchange. Waives nonresident differential for foreign students participating with Bellevue College in a student exchange program. Does not apply to contracted international students.
- Refugee Waiver. Waives the nonresident tuition differential for eligible refugees and their spouse and dependents.
- Nonresident—Operating Fees Only. Waives the non-resident operating fee differential (excluding building fees) for the following categories of students:
- Eligible students taking only online classes.
- Students who have completed residency paperwork and are approved for residency status within three quarters.
- Eligible students participating in co-curricular activities and registering for a related and required class for at least one quarter during the regular academic year (fall–spring)
- Senior Citizens Waiver—Audit Only. Waives tuition for eligible seniors taking classes with space available at the beginning of the quarter. The college charges a five (5) dollar per class fee and all other college and related classroom fees.
- State and Educational Employees Waiver. Waives tuition for eligible state employees taking classes with space available at the beginning of the quarter. Bellevue College employees receive registration priority over other state employees. The college charges a five (5) dollar per class fee and all other college and related classroom fees.
- Athletic Waiver–Resident/Nonresident. Waives 25 percent of tuition and fees for eligible students.
- Financial Need Waiver. Waives all or a portion of tuition based on student financial aid eligibility.
- Ungraded Courses—Parent Education. Waives 85 percent of tuition and all building and services and activities fees.
- Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL) and GED Preparation Courses. Waives the $25 charge for students who demonstrate financial need.
- Student Transportation Fee. Waives the college student transportation fee for students who demonstrate financial need and participate in Workforce Education, ABE/GED/ESL, Running Start, Career Education Options, and Multicultural Services.
- Tuition combines operating and building fees.
- Services and activities (S & A) fees are collected from students for the purpose of funding student activities and programs.
- Nonresident differential is the difference between resident tuition and nonresident tuition.
- Co-curricular activities link a required and related class to participation in the activity.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- WAC 132H-160-052: Tuition and Fee Waivers
- RCW 28B:15: College and University Fees
- WAC 131-28-026(4)(a):Tuition charges for certain ungraded courses
- State Board for Community & Technical Colleges Tuition Waivers and Residency Classification
- RCW 28B.15.915: Waiver of Operating Fees
- Bellevue College Procedure #2400P Tuition and Fee Waivers
Revisions 10/22/1997; 3/22/2005; 12/13/2005; 9/12/2007; 5/21/2009; 9/11/2012; 4/6/2015; 6/24/2015; 1/6/2016
Board of Trustees
Last Updated April 26, 2019