6150P Alcoholic Beverages on Campus (Procedures)

Original Date: 10/1/1995 * Last Revision Effective: 5/13/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Administrative Services


The following procedures are established to meet the requirements for implementing policy #6150 – Alcoholic Beverages on Campus.


  • A Bellevue College alcohol permit request form may be obtained from the forms library or the events office. It must be filled out and submitted to the president for approval.
  • Upon approval for use of alcoholic beverages by the president or his/her designee, alcoholic beverages may be served. It shall be the responsibility of the event sponsor to obtain and submit to the public safety office all necessary permit s from the Washington state liquor control board and to adhere to that board’s regulations.
  • It is recommended to receive approval in sufficient time that serving of alcoholic beverages at events may be planned and appropriate staff scheduled to work. The request must be approved and submitted to the public safety office prior to the day of the event.
  • The following unexpired documents are the only acceptable proofs to verify that a person is of legal age to consume alcoholic beverages: a state driver’s license or ID card with picture, a Washington state liquor control board identification card, a United States armed forces identification card, passport, or a merchant marine identification card issued by the United States Coast Guard.
  • A college employee with a bartender’s license will be responsible and accountable for checking identification and ensuring that the individuals dispensing, serving, and consuming alcohol are twenty-one (21) years of age or older and in compliance with Washington state law and Washington state liquor control board regulations.
  • No person who is under the influence of alcohol or dangerous substances or who is disorderly in conduct shall be allowed to dispense, serve, or consume alcoholic beverages. The college bartender and/or public safety officer is responsible for making the decision to serve or not.
  • All use of alcoholic beverages shall be governed by the law of the state of Washington as interpreted by the Washington state liquor control board. The approved permit for the event shall be posted in proximity of where the alcoholic beverages will be consumed and in public view.
  • No alcoholic beverages may be consumed outside the specific area approved for the event (room, building, etc.)
  • No state monies shall be used to purchase any alcoholic beverages or to pay any license fees or related expenses.
  • No alcoholic beverages may be sold on college properties.
  • The college events staffs, public safety staff and/or the city of Bellevue police department have the right to cancel the consumption of alcoholic beverages in the event that the Washington state liquor control board regulations are violated.
  • The sponsor agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Bellevue College, District VIII, its officers, employees and agents (the “indemnitees”) against and from any and all liability, loss or damage the indemnitees may suffer as a result of claims, demands, costs, or judgments, including reasonable attorneys’ fees against the indemnitees arising from the event described above in general, and in particular arising out of the use of alcoholic beverages at this event. The sponsor agrees to assume total and complete responsibility for adherence to all rules and regulations that apply to the provision of alcoholic beverages at this event and to the forfeiture of the deposit paid if any such action is brought against the above named indemnitees or if violation of rules occurs.

Revision History

Original 10/1/1995
Revisions 3/22/2005; 3/10/2009; 5/21/2009; 9/17/2012; 5/13/2015

Approved By

President’s Cabinet

Last Updated May 13, 2015