6550P Posting of Literature on Campus (Procedures)
Original Date: 4/22/1999 * Last Revision Effective: 9/24/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Services
Bellevue College posting facilities shall be reserved primarily for the use of students, faculty and staff to inform the campus community about college-related programs and activities. Some space shall also be made available for posting by off-campus groups, individuals, or organizations, including commercial enterprise for promoting appropriate activities and/or opportunities in the community or at the college per the following procedures.
General Procedures for all Posting and Distribution of Literature
- All materials must be approved and date-stamped at the campus information desk before posting. Posted materials not bearing a legitimate date stamp will be removed.
- Individuals or groups posting literature on campus are responsible for removing it in a timely fashion. Any literature not removed by the individual or group may be taken down by student programs after the announced event or one month after the approval date-stamp, whichever is earliest.
- Custodians and maintenance staff will immediately remove signs that are causing damage to the buildings or grounds.
- Posted materials which are torn, damaged, or covering another posting will be removed and discarded.
- All posted literature must bear some identification of the organization or individual publishing, sponsoring, or distributing it. No anonymous literature may be posted on the Bellevue College campus. College staff will immediately remove and discard any anonymous literature.
- If posted literature is in a language other than English, an English translation must be included or posted alongside.
- Distribution of literature by placing it on motor vehicles parked on Bellevue College property is prohibited.
- Violators of these provisions may be responsible for the cost of cleaning and/or restoration of any facility marred or damaged by the posting of literature.
- Student programs staff will periodically clear outdated material from posting areas. Campus operations staff will completely clear posting areas before each Fall quarter.
Literature Concerning Campus Life, Student, and Staff Activities
- Literature concerning campus life, student, and staff activities may be posted only on the designated posting areas (bulletin boards or kiosks) provided in stairwells and corridors around campus.
- Members of the campus community must have their literature date-stamped at the campus information desk before they post it.
- The campus group or individual posting literature about an event is also expected to remove it in a timely fashion after the event.
- Posted materials are normally placed two to three weeks prior to an event and removed immediately after the event. Exceptions may be granted for certain Bellevue College activities and announcements.
- Student, campus life, and staff activities posting is limited to one copy per designated posting area.
- Members of the campus community violating these provisions or other appropriate college rules may be held responsible for the cost of cleaning or repairing any Bellevue College facilities damaged by their posting of literature, and may be prohibited from future posting.
Literature Concerning Commercial Promotions or Off-Campus Events
- Posting of literature for commercial purposes or to promote off-campus events is limited to posting on the designated bulletin boards in the student union. “Commercial purposes” means speech which does no more than propose a commercial transaction.
- Commercial organizations or off-campus groups must submit their materials to the campus information desk for content approval and date-stamping. Student programs staff will post the literature on the designated boards.
- All posted literature from commercial or off-campus groups must bear identification of the organization or individual publishing, sponsoring, or distributing it.
- Advertising of alcohol, weapons and tobacco products is not permitted.
- Posted materials are normally placed two to three weeks prior to a promotion and removed immediately after the promotion.
- Commercial posting is limited to one copy per authorized commercial/off-campus posting area.
- Violations of these provisions may be responsible for the cost of cleaning and/or restoration of any facility marred or damaged by the posting of literature and may be prohibited from further use of Bellevue College posting facilities.
Bulletin Board Assignments
- Stairwell and corridor bulletin boards and kiosks around campus will be clearly designated for publicizing Bellevue College campus life, student, and staff activities. Bulletin board space designated for commercial/off-campus group literature will be provided in the student union.
- Interior office and classroom bulletin boards are reserved for the use of staff and instructors. Campus departments control what may be posted on the bulletin boards within their office areas.
- Interior bulletin board space within the student union in the C building is assigned by the director of student programs. Personal and sale items may be posted in the designated bulletin board space in the student union. Pre-printed forms for advertising housing, help wanted, tutoring, child care, etc. are available from the campus information desk.
- Bulletin boards may be provided in public restrooms for the posting of health-related information. Such materials must be approved by the director of student programs before posting.
- A complete inventory of Bellevue College bulletin board assignments is available at the campus information desk or from the director of student programs or the dean of student services.
Student Union Display Case
- Bellevue College departments, programs, and recognized student organizations may reserve and use the display case in the student union.
- Reservations must be made in writing at least two weeks before the desired starting date for the display. Reservation forms are available from the campus information desk. The following information must be provided:
- Desired display date(s)
- Name of Bellevue College department, program or student group
- Name and phone number of contact person
- Who will be responsible for the display case key
- Description of the display contents
- The display case may be reserved for two weeks unless the director of student programs grants permission for a longer display period.
- No department, program, or student group may reserve the display case more than twice within one academic quarter.
- The department, program, or student group is expected to remove its display at least six hours prior to the next group’s reservation time.
- Cancellation of a display case reservation requires 24-hour notice.
- Bellevue College does not endorse or support the content of any display presented in the student union display case.
Revisions 5/10/2005; 5/21/2009; 9/24/2012
All College Council