“As a tutor, I learned how to communicate effectively across a variety of cultures and academic backgrounds. I gained valuable experience working in a collaborative environment that carried over into my professional employment.”–Carson Yip, former ASC tutor
The Academic Success Center is always looking for motivated and enthusiastic tutors in any subject. If you’ve gotten a B+ or above and are interested in having a flexible, on-campus job, please contact us for more information at 425-564-2200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply Here!
- Complete a Tutor Application (click “Apply Here!” above)
- Email application and unofficial transcript to email@example.com
- Applications will be reviewed in response to staffing needs
- If positions are available, you will be contacted via email for an interview
*Instructors may email course recommendations directly to the ASC firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email email@example.com or call 425-564-2200 for further questions.
Salary: $16/hour Job Type: Hourly
The Academic Success Center (ASC) is looking for highly motivated tutors with comprehensive subject knowledge and effective interpersonal and communication skills. Primary responsibilities involve tutoring Bellevue College students within the ASC or at a satellite location. Tutors should be proficient in their subject area and be patient, empathetic, and equitable when engaging students. ASC tutors are not instructors and are not responsible for teaching course content or material.
Tutors must be available for tutoring during the ASC’s hours. Tutor’s hours are determined quarterly based on their availability and the ASC’s need. Student tutors can work up to 19 hours a week. Non-student tutors can work up to 16 hours a week. Tutors are required to participate in tutor training prior to and during their time as an ASC tutor. Tutors who complete at least 10 hours of training will receive an internationally-recognized certification from the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA).
- Overall GPA of 3.2 or above, either currently or in previous education
- A, A- or B+ in subject areas you wish to tutor
- Approval for each course/subject area you plan to tutor in
- BC Students: Need instructor approval
- Non-students: Need departmental approval via unofficial transcript
- Ability to attend tutor training sessions and complete FERPA and Title IX training
- Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural populations and to facilitate equitable learning
- Patience and empathy for students’ individual learning styles
- Desire to empower students and help them become independent learners
- Commitment to tutor at least three consecutive quarters
- Following approval of your employment, an orientation will be scheduled to complete hiring paperwork. You will need to present documents that prove work eligibility.
- FERPA and Title IX training are required (both are completed online).
- During your first two quarters of employment, you will complete 8 hours of training certified through CRLA (College of Reading and Learning Association). Upon completion of the training AND 25-hours of tutoring, you will receive a certificate verifying your participation.
- Lab specific training may also be required.
Bellevue College reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race or ethnicity; creed; color; national origin; sex; marital status; sexual orientation; age; religion; genetic information; the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability; gender identity or veteran status in educational programs and activities which it operates. Please visit https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/equal for more information.
Last Updated August 17, 2021