Academic Renewal

Students returning to Bellevue College after a break in taking credit classes or those who have completed all of the coursework and requirements for a degree or certificate may petition for academic renewal. Academic renewal replaces all original grades students earned in select quarters with a grade of “X,” which is not included in the calculation of their Bellevue College grade point average (GPA). By enabling returning students to improve their GPA, academic renewal supports student success and completion of students’ academic goals. The college allows this as a one-time irreversible option for students who meet the following criteria:

  • The student took a minimum one-year (four consecutive quarters) break in taking classes and earns at least a “B-“ quarterly and cumulative GPA in three (3) consecutive quarters starting immediately upon the student’s return to the college; or
  • The student has completed all coursework and requirements necessary for degree or certificate completions, and has applied for graduation.

Students may designate any quarter or quarters for academic renewal under the following conditions:

  • In the case of students returning after a minimum one-year break, the quarter or quarters selected must predate their return to the college.
  • If multiple quarters are selected, they must be consecutive.
  • The quarter or quarters selected may not include classes previously used to meet the requirements of an awarded degree or certificate.

Academic renewal permanently removes the original grades from a student’s transcript; the college does not keep a record of those original grades. Students cannot choose individual class grades for academic renewal as it is implemented on a quarter basis only. Students planning to transfer to other institutions should note that the original class names and associated credits remain on the transcript after academic renewal and may be considered as attempted credits or they may be assigned a default grade by the receiving institution.


Students seeking academic renewal must take the following steps:

  • Meet with an academic advisor to develop an educational plan that describes the path to completion of their degree, certificate, or other academic goals.
  • Fill out the Academic Renewal Petition Form (available on the online services website).
  • Submit the completed form and the educational plan according to the instructions on the form.

Note: Students submitting a petition based on completing all graduation requirements, must also apply for graduation prior to submitting the petition form.

Students are notified through their BC email within 10 business days after submitting the petition.

The college approves the academic renewal petition for all students who meet the established criteria. If a petition is denied, students may request an administrative review by contacting Student Central. Cases that cannot be resolved are automatically referred to the associate vice president of student affairs, who has final decision-making authority for academic renewal.

Last Updated March 9, 2021